Author Topic: This year's ( long read)  (Read 2209 times)

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
This year's ( long read)
« on: Jan 29, 2019, 07:16:18 PM »
Thanksgiving week has been my vacation choice for the last 25 years or so and for good reason. Being a predominant sitter, this year's early snow created a challange I had not seen in the last 25 years in my neck of the woods.
  Sitting in the snow, especially while snowing is not for the faint of heart. I'm in most cases an All Day sitter packing a thermos of coffee, water and lunch. Body warmers and plenty of layers that I can only put on after the task of getting up that hill 3/4 of a mile to my stand location. I usually go up in a t-shirt with a 45 pound pack on my back. People worry about scent controll as do I. But sweating on this walk is going to happen.  I drag a scent cloth on my way in and out .I carry scent away and spray as I add layer by layer. Refresh the drag and hang in a nearby tree. Then it's in the stand.
   As I said this season proved  a challange as the snow changed the habits of the deer movement. Knowing they wouldn't move a lot while snowing, I was forced to still hunt more. I would sit until 10 to 10:30 . Then still hunt super slow for 2 hours at the edge of the ridge to another stand location where I would sit until dark. I was seeing 6 to 10 deer a day between sitting and the still hunting. But no bone and only having a doe permit for another zone, I could only watch. That's what I did a lot of the time too. I was walking up on bedded down deer all over that ridgetop. Most of the time getting into them unnoticed. I would sit on my pack and watch them and at times I'd say for 30 minutes or more. Watching them take turns on guard and stretching and chewing their cud. Thinking a buck would eventually show. On Thanksgiving morning I figured I throw them a curve. I went and Sat at the second stand location first with the complete opposite plan on my mind.
It was cold that morning but was all set up with my thermos of coffee. It's amazing how warm liquids can warm the body. At 8:30 5 doe come by from my left jumping the stone wall. 5 minutes later another doe comes scurrying along. I think she's either being pushed by a buck or she slept a tad late and is playing catch up. 10 minutes later I see the buck come in from my right on a totally different ridge. I picked my spot and when he stepped in I fired. I missed... luckily he stopped and allowed me another shot. I never saw him hunch and Sat there reflecting.  I text my nephew and told him I might have missed #7 With him being the 7th deer of the day. I went to where he was standing. No blood, no hair. As I followed the tracks 40 yards In front of me I could see him piled up. Only made it 60 yards. 168lb 8 point

patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
Re: This year's ( long read)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2019, 08:33:41 AM »
good story better ending good job

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
Re: This year's ( long read)
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »
Great story. Thanks for sharing! ;D