Hunting by Game/Technique > Wild Boar Hunting
kinds of boar
(1/3) > >>
MASTERGUIDE:
Ok, somebody needs to explain the differences of the different types of pigs, I have hunted pigs in florida, but they didn't look like the ones in texas, and the russians are obviously very big and live where there is cold weather, but what are all the kinds in north america, and location and can each kind be hunted, etc.
adkRoy:
Most of the wild pigs in the US are a cross breed between domestic hogs that have gone feral and European/ Russian boars that were introduced into the US as another species to hunt.
The Smokestick Kid:
My neighbor shot a feral pig that weighed...and this is no joke...almost 700 pounds!!  It had escaped from a pig farm, and had been seen wandering the state land for years.  Feeling the need to hunting during Mid-Summer, he took his bow into the woods hoping to tag one of the various "exotic" species that were running wild in the stateland...pigs, goats, peacocks...LOL He saw the big boar and made a stalk on him, which he said took about 1 1/2 hours to get close enough, as the pig was moving away, and kept looking back towards him.  That thing was just massive...he had to use his winch to get it out of the woods and into his truck, and then used his excavator to get it out of the truck bed and hung, so he could butcher it.  I'll ask him if he has the pictures on his computer...I'll post them if I can get ahold of them.

-Zach
zooker:
wild russian boar are almost always black rarely weigh over 400 pounds. every thing else is a feral hog. like domisticated porkers feral hogs can come in many colors and weigh up to 1000 pounds..

wild russians are no where as mean as a feral hog. both are dangerus just the wild russian is much more perditable.

both have same failin they can not corner very well. and they both lack a reverse gear..

zooker
MASTERGUIDE:
how about havelinas, they seem to be in arizona and new mexico etc. right?  They are wild aren't they?
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version