Author Topic: Acorns  (Read 3028 times)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Acorns
« on: Sep 26, 2005, 01:19:13 AM »
How much do you guys think acorns affect bear.  This year there was a large acorn crop, and the bear hunting was really really slow when they were falling, I just want to know what you guys think, and if there is any solution to getting bears to come in even when there are alot of acorns, I have heard some things, but have not tried them yet, but, I just want to know of some more things as well.

MASTERGUIDE

Offline pintowagon

• Spiked
Re: Acorns
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2005, 08:36:25 PM »
I do believe that the acorns do have a effect on the bear huntting right when the acorns start to drop off the trees. But as they start to fall off the trees more And more. I think the bear get sick of the acorns. Because it is a easy fill in there belly's, and they begin to want some thing more sweet. And most of the time will go back to hitting the baits again. But with the acorns It helps fatten the bears up.  And most of the time the bears baits are grease or some kind of sugar pastry that wont fatten the bear up for the winter.But who could pass up a donut.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Acorns
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:31:57 PM »
That sounds right, and I also hear they quit eating them after they have been on the ground for a week if it rained at all, because they get mushy and they don't like them as much.  I know black bear can get sick of the same food after so long, I read a mag article about bear hunting this one island in alaska, and the bear have so much food they will switch food sources when they get sick of one.  for example berries, they will feast on salmon for a while, then switch to berries, then back to grazing, then to salmon etc.  they said the bears coat can get stained purple from all of the berries they are in so much.

MASTERGUIDE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal