Author Topic: Bear hunting in New York  (Read 17523 times)

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
Re: Bear hunting in New York
« Reply #15 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:55:00 AM »
 Good for him! And Good luck to you.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #16 on: Jun 23, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »
I'm thinking of going this year up in the Adirondacks. I've always wondered how guys go about getting a big one out of the woods, if using an ATV is not an Option. Does anyone have any methods they could share??

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Jun 23, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »
one of those rool up kids sleds and a whole lot of pulling
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2008, 07:21:17 PM by vivlamored »

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Jun 26, 2008, 04:05:14 PM »
I don't think I want to try that? Have you done it like that before, In the fall, without snow?  What about one of those carts with wheels?

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #19 on: Jun 26, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »
Issiah, you may not have to go to the ADKs. The DEC is proposing to expand the bear hunting seasons to 13 additional WMUs, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Erie, Wyoming, Genesee, Monroe, Livingston, Wayne, Ontario, Seneca, Yates, Steuben, Schuyler, Tompkins, Tioga, Cortland, Broome, Chenango, Madison, Onondaga, Oneida, and Otsego Counties.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Jun 27, 2008, 04:08:09 PM »
I don't think I want to try that? Have you done it like that before, In the fall, without snow?  What about one of those carts with wheels?
That would work i know someone that killed a 500lber that they took out wit a home made deer carrier i have taken out a deer or two with that carrier it works pretty slick they just made it out of a bike wheel and some pipe with some fence for the basket part of it

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Jun 28, 2008, 09:09:03 PM »
Yeah I'll probably try making or buying a cart with wheels & straps...

Monk,
            I'm only 20min from the Adirondack Park; guys have taken Bear right here where I live; It is an open Bear hunting area (Northern Oneida County). Didn't know they were considering opening it to all the counties you listed though. In MOST of the counties you listed, it is very rare to see Bear?

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #22 on: Jun 29, 2008, 07:06:32 AM »
I have yet to see a Black Bear in Chenango County, personally. I know one was killed illegally a few years back within a mile or two from my house. Also anther person again one or two miles reported a lot of Bear tracks in his driveway to the DEC, he was told one Bear makes a lot of tracks. Norwich had a young Bear hanging around a school, they had suspended outside recess for a couple of days. It has been known a lot of the young Bears were migrating through to find their own home area and are now residing here. I am hopeful to have Bear here. It would be nice to at least to see them occasionally.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »
Issiah, you may not have to go to the ADKs. The DEC is proposing to expand the bear hunting seasons to 13 additional WMUs, Chautauqua, Cattaraugus, Erie, Wyoming, Genesee, Monroe, Livingston, Wayne, Ontario, Seneca, Yates, Steuben, Schuyler, Tompkins, Tioga, Cortland, Broome, Chenango, Madison, Onondaga, Oneida, and Otsego Counties.

Looks like you were right on with this.  New York Outdoor News has an article explaining how DEC / Grannis doesn't want populations to grow too fast in areas where bears will cause problems...

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Jul 20, 2008, 08:09:11 AM »
Looks like you were right on with this.  New York Outdoor News has an article explaining how DEC / Grannis doesn't want populations to grow too fast in areas where bears will cause problems...
Thing is when people start seeing bears where they normally wouldn't they think they are creating a population i think most of the time they are just passing through then they find something to eat and stay there till its gone. The Adirondack and the Catskills are your best bet i think.

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #25 on: Jul 20, 2008, 12:46:30 PM »
I live in the eastern ADK park, If you want a chance at a good bear, Take Route 30 north through the village of Speculator and try up behind Mason Lake. There's both state land and paper co land to hunt on but there are thousands of acres of all kinds of terrain. But the good thing is there are lots of Blackies there also and lots of food for them, Berries, Beaches etc. But watch out for the Moose, there's lots of them there also.   ;)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Jul 20, 2008, 06:17:11 PM »
 Every time i go down 30 i look for moose in the bogs through there never get to see one but one of these timesits gonna happen

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Jul 22, 2008, 09:50:27 PM »
We had one here behind the house a couple years ago. My brother in law thought one of his horses were loose; but when he drove his truck out into the hayfield he saw the horse had a big set of Antlers!!!  It was a Bull Moose!  Other Neighbors saw it also...

Offline Rem14-32

• Forked
« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Every time i go down 30 i look for moose in the bogs through there never get to see one but one of these timesits gonna happen
You must be going the wrong time of day, 6pm till dark is the best. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal