Author Topic: First black bear of 2008  (Read 5589 times)

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
First black bear of 2008
« on: Apr 16, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »
march 30th we were on our way home from summit lake in kenai...we had been ice fishing for dollies most of the day....as we were drivin thru turnagain pass we spotted a black bear limping away from the road. a bunch of people were takin pics of it, and we waited until they all left and we chased the bruin about 500 yards away....he had been hit by a car or a snowmachiner and was starving to death without a doubt, one shot at 28 yards with a .270 anchored him in his tracks...it was definately a surprise for us, havin never seen a black bear up this early in my all 23 years in AK....anyone else ever seen such a thing? there was still 15 feet of snow in the pass that was struggling thru..
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

Offline barleydog

• Spiked
Re: First black bear of 2008
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2008, 12:01:45 PM »
Good for you huntingfool.  Was the pelt in good shape?  We have a couple grizzlies outside of town up early this year, (first week in April) but I have yet to see or hear about any blacks.

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
Re: First black bear of 2008
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2008, 04:23:22 PM »
beautiful pelt, thick and soft, no mange... one of the best black bear pelt ive ever seen.....it was a small bear though, about 5', he was all skin and bones, i could lift him up with one arm.....
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal