Author Topic: Realistic Expectations  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Nokia2174

• Fawn
Realistic Expectations
« on: Nov 12, 2020, 07:12:51 PM »
So, I’m new to hunting this year. I absolutely love getting out there and enjoying the outdoors. Problem is, up to this point, I’ve had very limited luck finding deer. I have bumped a few and seen a ton of sign, but have yet to get a draw on one. I don’t have a tree stand yet and have primarily been spot and stalk. Starting to get a bit discouraged. How long did it take you all to start regularly seeing deer? Also (and I think I know the answer to this) will a stand really help with this?

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Realistic Expectations
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Yes! The stand will help. For multiple reasons, you said you’ve “ bumped deer” staying stationary will avoid that and cause less pressure on them with your bow ( you said draw ) it also gets you out of view a bit more and lifts scent. Hang a stand where you are seeing the ton of sign you see and be smart about how you enter and exit it and what winds you hunt it in while controlling your scent and you are in.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »
All of the things AA mentioned will definitely help. Consider picking up a trail camera or two, they are pretty inexpensive these days. It's nice to have some eyes in the woods when you aren't there and it turns scouting into a near year round activity. Keep in mind deer are highly in tune with their environment, their life literally depends on it. Just keep at it, and learn to enjoy the process. Hunting is full of ups and downs, long periods of nothingness and it can change in the blink of an eye and have your heart pounding out of your chest. When it all comes together it will be that much more rewarding.

Lastly, if you follow any of the social media pages just remember, that's not reality. They can make it seem like everyone just walks out and shoots a big buck like it's nothing. I follow some of the FB pages of NH ME and VT groups because I like seeing big bucks and it's a nice reminder every dog has his day and to keep at it. Just don't let it get you down. There are way more people sitting in the woods seeing nothing than shooting big ones.

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
Yes! A stand will absolutely increase your chances immensely!
I'd say 95% of all my deer were taken from a stand. Get inside their livingroom and beat them at their own game...concealment and scent.
I sit for hours, then sit for a few more. If I have the time and I'm in a good location 4-6 hours is what I normally shoot for at least.
Be patient, let them come to you. You're bound to have one come by and give you an opportunity for a shot.
Depending on where you are in the state, I think you'll be amazed at how many deer you can see in a season by just adding a few stand options and putting in the time.
Good luck.

« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2020, 04:10:14 PM by Huntnfish603 »

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2020, 04:49:58 PM »
 A quote my farther use to always say."The consistent hunter will almost always get his deer". Same place.. as long as you can, for as many days as you can. Trust in your spot. Many times I talk to myself in order to convince myself to stay. It usually pays off in the end.
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2020, 04:23:02 AM »
To answer your other question, 10 years for me till I tagged my first deer. Granted I was 12 when I start the clock on that and didn't know any better. I know many that have succeeded in year one. I know an 18 year old who took his 4th deer of the season on Wednesday.
To be good at it, its a lot of learning the skills, perseverance, and well a little luck always helps. Be wise and listen to the guys that have a wall full of antlers. Some of them have already responded to you on this thread.
Best of luck to you... be patient.

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2020, 08:02:24 AM »
If you enjoy the time in the woods that’s half the battle. I agree with everything everyone else says about stands, but I e only killed deer from the ground (and not many of them, lol). Don’t be discouraged if you can’t get a stand this year, keep learning you’re area and get out and success will come. My dad took 20 years to get a deer mainly because he preferred walking and stalking, but if you have a good time that’s all that matters.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal