Author Topic: What do you pay for processing  (Read 3908 times)

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
Re: What do you pay for processing
« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:25:49 AM »
you just place a bunch of corn on a large industrial scale set in the woods and wait.  If they are heavy enough you shoot them.   :P

Offline deerhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:56:02 AM »
yes thats the best way and pretty much the only way to do it. what do you figure about one third for the guts.

buzzbomb

« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2005, 07:54:33 AM »
 I don't have the scale for weighing a field dressed deer so I sometimes take each quarter either before I hang it or before I butcher it and hold it while weighing myself on the bathroom scale.  A real biggie can have a carcass weight of over 200 lbs. and I'd guess I lose maybe 25 - 30 lbs in bones and trim if it's well shot. I've never weighed the head, hide, hocks or guts.  The heavier the carcass weight is, the field dressed weight or the live weight will naturally be exponentially greater.  On a really big buck I'd guess the difference could be as much as 65 - 75 lbs.  That would translate into a live weight of 300 lbs, or close to it.  Does that sound about right?  The times I've had to spend 3 or 4 hours dragging them out of the valley it seemed every bit of 300 lbs. :D  A 2 1/2 year old doe might only have 80 - 100 lbs of meat on it and less if you shot it in the pork chops ...... if you shoot a fawn the whole thing cut and wrapped will fit into an apple box.   That's about the same as you get off a spring lamb (33 or 35 lbs. from my experience processing lambs).  It was a few years ago, but guys told me they were paying about $60 Cdn to get their deer cut up and more for sausage, etc.  One reason I like doing my own is that I get to make the steaks nice and thick (1 1/4" and one rib per chop, depending on the size of the deer) so I can broil them and get medium rare every time.  I found when my neighbor used his bandsaw the blade kept wandering and the steaks were wedge shaped and impossible to cook evenly. 
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2005, 07:58:30 AM by buzzbomb »

buzzbomb

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2005, 05:36:04 AM »
And no sooner was that said than someone turned me on to a meat saw his buddy was selling for a token $100 and I jumped right on it.   ;D

According to the i-net they're over $2500 new so I'll try it out and see if Ilike it.  I'll have to either change the motor (it's a 220V) or have a special cord made up to go to the dryer plug.  Come summer the same fellow may have the grinder and stuffer they have in the basement for sale and I'll be right in there!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2005, 10:56:29 AM »
i usually do my own but if i want something special ity costs $60 without the hide and $50 with the hide to get it processed how i want

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2005, 02:45:32 PM »
If I don't have time to do my own, 65 for reg cut, 75 deboned...
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal