Author Topic: kinds of boar  (Read 12406 times)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
kinds of boar
« on: Nov 20, 2006, 11:06:05 PM »
Ok, somebody needs to explain the differences of the different types of pigs, I have hunted pigs in florida, but they didn't look like the ones in texas, and the russians are obviously very big and live where there is cold weather, but what are all the kinds in north america, and location and can each kind be hunted, etc.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: kinds of boar
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:07:06 AM »
Most of the wild pigs in the US are a cross breed between domestic hogs that have gone feral and European/ Russian boars that were introduced into the US as another species to hunt.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:25:00 AM »
My neighbor shot a feral pig that weighed...and this is no joke...almost 700 pounds!!  It had escaped from a pig farm, and had been seen wandering the state land for years.  Feeling the need to hunting during Mid-Summer, he took his bow into the woods hoping to tag one of the various "exotic" species that were running wild in the stateland...pigs, goats, peacocks...LOL He saw the big boar and made a stalk on him, which he said took about 1 1/2 hours to get close enough, as the pig was moving away, and kept looking back towards him.  That thing was just massive...he had to use his winch to get it out of the woods and into his truck, and then used his excavator to get it out of the truck bed and hung, so he could butcher it.  I'll ask him if he has the pictures on his computer...I'll post them if I can get ahold of them.

-Zach

Offline zooker

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2006, 05:44:55 AM »
wild russian boar are almost always black rarely weigh over 400 pounds. every thing else is a feral hog. like domisticated porkers feral hogs can come in many colors and weigh up to 1000 pounds..

wild russians are no where as mean as a feral hog. both are dangerus just the wild russian is much more perditable.

both have same failin they can not corner very well. and they both lack a reverse gear..

zooker

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2006, 10:33:43 PM »
how about havelinas, they seem to be in arizona and new mexico etc. right?  They are wild aren't they?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:56:06 AM »
javelinas are not a true pig. They are found mostly down south in Texas area.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline zooker

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2006, 06:29:44 PM »
javlin are small about 30-40 pounds..
kinda small pot belly porker..

zooker

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2006, 05:18:43 AM »
Javelinas are actually big rodents...

JimP

« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2007, 12:26:35 PM »
Rodents??? Geeez! No way.....

The peccaries (also known by its Spanish name, javelina or pecarí) are medium-sized mammals of the family Tayassuidae. Peccaries are members of the Artiodactyls (even-toed ungulants) as are swine Suidae and hippopotami Hippopotamidae. They are found in the southwestern area of North America and throughout Central and South America. Peccaries usually measure between 90 and 130 cm in length (3 to 4 feet), and a full-grown adult usually weighs between about 20 and 40 kilograms (44 to 88 pounds).

Offline Lobes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Apr 11, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
Sounds like we have a rapidly growing population of feral hogs here in Michigan. I'll be doing my part to keep the herd in check around here.
Do hogs reach a size where they are not as good to eat? Is it because they get tough or do they start to take on a foul taste?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 11, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
100-150 is prime size for good tasting wild boar. Sows are good eating at any size.

Offline Lobes

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2007, 06:24:02 PM »
Good info !!!
Thanks!

Offline kiltman

• Nubbie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
Hey, Lobes.
Where you finding them feral pigs?