Author Topic: best store ammo for the hunter that doesn't re-load  (Read 11572 times)

Offline gunner

• Forked
best store ammo for the hunter that doesn't re-load
« on: Sep 14, 2013, 10:46:13 PM »
Please  any advice :  I know that many might suggest getting a different caliber rifle ----but that is not an option.  I have a 243 that I will be using this deer season.  I don't re-load, so I've been shooting the Remington  100gr bullets.  They have been grouping very well for me.  Does anyone have a preference for a better store bought hunting shell ????   Thanks  Gunner

Offline oneshott

• 6 Pointer
Re: best store ammo for the hunter that doesn't re-load
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2013, 12:17:54 AM »
If it is grouping well, I wouldn't fix it.  I always get Federal.  If you've found one that groups well and accurate, I wouldn't change.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2013, 06:34:03 AM »

I Have 2 a  BAR and the BPR  They both are 243 's I tyred the Remington's didn't like them , Switched the federal premium's 100 gr.
   What a difference they made ; If you are getting nice and tight groups sounds like it's a nice round for that gun stick with it  Good luck  ;D

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2013, 06:10:07 PM »
Thanks guys, I might try the Federals just to see how they work....Not to get another thread going but have you guys had success with the 243 on deer and if so where did you place your shot ???  Thanks again and to anyone else that can give some advise.  Gunner

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »
coreloss bullets will do the job on perfecly placed shots. marginal shots with the 243  and ANY cup and core bullet is a crap shoot. might be okay or it might be disaster. i shot lots of deer with a 243 when i was a little kid and all died after a short death run. some were with coreliss ammo but when dad started loading premium bullets in that cal for me there was a huge difference in on game performance. these days u can buy factory ammo loaded with those bullets. iff i were you, no question in my mind i would be hurling either a barnes tsx/ttsx or my favorite, the nosler partition.  its lights out.

BP

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »
Is that nosler  in a hand-load or a store bought ??? Once  again I don't have the means to re-load my own...  Gunner

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2013, 05:50:26 AM »
store bought. many manufacturers load premiums bullets made by othe companies these days. and with light calibers i would want a premium. for the money and how many times u fire at an animal in a season its worth it. and u owe it to the animal. besides, ammo is the cheapest part of the hunt/gear and is about the most important. i use coreloss for practice and to accumulate new brasd but i re sight if needed and hunt with my home grown stuff.

FrankM

« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
Remington core-lokt psp bullets are the best store bought deer bullets for the money.

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
Remington core-lokt psp bullets are the best store bought deer bullets for the money.
X2

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »
x3...iv used them the past 3 seasons and have killed 7 deer with them in  30-06 165 grain...not one took a step just went stright down

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »
Thank you for your help and advice!  Since my gun shoots the rems well, I will stick with them for now.  Gunner

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2013, 06:54:35 PM »

lol uh huh..... and obama is all for the second amendment.

coreloss bullets are okay at besy in heavier calibers but light cartridges they sre NOT that great. sry.

Offline bone_and_beard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »
I have lost deer with remington core-lock 180 grain psp's and other deer I have hit so hard that I felt bad about it, the remingtons seem to be feast or fammon.

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:07:38 PM »
are you shooting them through the shoulders or behind the shoulder in the heart/lung area.   Gunner

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2013, 07:23:33 PM »
I have lost deer with remington core-lock 180 grain psp's and other deer I have hit so hard that I felt bad about it, the remingtons seem to be feast or fammon.
dont use the 180s on deer..those are whats used for moose bear elk and larger game...you wont get full expansion in the 180s on a whitetail...try dropping down to the 150 or 165 like i said b4 iv used them for 3 season as well as my wife father and brother..between all of us we have taken over 15 deer in the last 3 seasons with them and they make a great big hole

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal