Author Topic: NYS Youth deer season  (Read 10621 times)

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: NYS Youth deer season
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
Well I know many people agree with you on the crossbow issue and I'm there with you but it's coming weather we like it or not. I'd say 2013 or 2014.

Yeah I know...it is better than a gun season at the beginning of bow though...I don't think many will use it anyway...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
Guys, It's not the second weekend, it's the first weekend. Oct 6-8th, season opens on Monday that Saturday they hit the woods.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
so much for a quiet opening weekend.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
IMHO  I love the idea of a youth season, but its kind of silly considering the youth can still hunt the rest of the season....you can get a big game license at 14 now, and the fact that it is in archery is sad, even though its only 3 days and most hunts will be in fields so shouldnt effect us woods hunters...having said that, maybe they should do it during muzzleloader in the northern zone then do it the first weekend of gun opener in southern zone....that makes more sense.
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:20:55 PM »
Well I know many people agree with you on the crossbow issue and I'm there with you but it's coming weather we like it or not. I'd say 2013 or 2014.

I know Im in the minority when i say this but I couldn't care less about the crossbow full inclusion,  matter of fact I welcome it... I am at a point in my hunting career where i truly believe my experience and hours spent in the woods on stand will overcome anything the average crossbow wielding weekend warrior can throw at me.  I will still scout harder, walk farther, and sit longer than any of them.

Carrying a crossbow will just get you in the woods... doesnt make you a bow hunter

« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 06:21:21 PM by Inwellb4light »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:23:26 PM »
I've an idea, why doesn't the DEC make the whole state open Oct 1, close Dec 31. and you can use what ever weapon you want. solves allissues regarding crossbows, rifles, youthhunt etc.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
wait...they included crossbows during archery season? :o without a disability?
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
wait...they included crossbows during archery season? :o without a disability?

Not yet... won't be long though
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:07:48 PM »
At this rate they may do it during this archery season.

Offline redace

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Sep 19, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »
Dont see what all the whinning is about its not like the woods are gonna be full of 14 and 15 year olds blowing up the woods.Hell down here we dont have enough pressure opening day of Regular gun season anymore to put any pressure on them..If you dont want the kids in your coveted bow spots Dont let them hunt there..Im sure a lot of these young hunters will get a better experience this time of year beacause during regular season Most guys worry more about getting themselves a deer.JMO

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Sep 19, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »
Where I hunt opening day of gun season there ate gun shots going off non stop come sumn rise. And the deer in the area know damn well what's going on. The day before gun season well see upwords of 100 deer. The day after your lucky to see 10 and real lucky to see a nice buck. This is the first year I have a chance to bowhunt down there and now who knows what its going to be like. Did see a lot of nice bucks when I was there for camp work last weekend. Saw a lot of points for team two just waitin for a tag.

Offline finbuck

• Spiked
« Reply #26 on: Sep 19, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »
Here is what I think your going to see in the next few years:

Early Bow North: September 27th-Opening of muzzle loader,  Uses bow, and crossbow
Southern crossbow:   Oct 1-Opening of northern muzzle loader, Crossbow
Southern Bow:          Northern Muzzle loader opener to 3rd Saturday in November

Something along those lines and the rest of the reason remain the same. I think they opened up the season on OCT 1 down south this year for a reason and I think that reason is they are going to make a crossbow season out of the first two weeks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal