Author Topic: NYS Youth deer season  (Read 10620 times)

Offline redace

• Forked
NYS Youth deer season
« on: Sep 06, 2012, 09:13:43 AM »
Couldnt find the other thread on this so thought id share the update i got from the stae yesterday.
No News" update from Albany:

As of this morning, we're told that the governor has NOT taken any action on the legislation that would nullify the Youth Firearms Deer Season. Until he does, the youth hunt is ON.
(We've been pushing for some sort of answer from the governor's office so we can inform the sportsmen, but so far no word. )
This bill passed both houses in June, but still has not been delivered to the Governor. 
- If the bill is never delivered, or is delivered and vetoed, or is delivered and not acted upon by the Governor (within 30 days of delivery), then the youth hunt is on. 
- The Youth hunt will only be canceled if the bill is delivered and signed by the Governor before Columbus Day weekend.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
Re: NYS Youth deer season
« Reply #1 on: Sep 07, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Peddler  ;D
Peddler

Offline redace

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:34:36 AM »
Just got this from the DEC today.
DEAR SPORTSMEN AND WOMEN:
News from Albany; the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt is Confirmed for Columbus Day Weekend 2012
News release (in both MS Word and PDF) is attached.

In case you cannot open either, the Highlights are:
- junior hunters ages 14-15
- October 6, 7 and 8, 2012
- in both the Northern Zone and Southern Zone
- eligible to take one deer of either sex with a firearm or crossbow
- In areas restricted to bowhunting only (Westchester County and parts of Albany and Monroe counties), junior hunters may only use bowhunting equipment to take deer during the youth hunt weekend.
- Bowhunting seasons remain open
- must be accompanied by a licensed and experienced adult (same as during the regular season)
- they may use their regular season tag to take a deer of either sex. 
- may use a Deer Management Permit or Deer Management Assistance Program tag for an antlerless deer;
- More details of the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt and rules for junior hunters and their mentors are available at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/46245.html.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
One of the dumbest things ever to come out of the DEC!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:16:51 PM »
Unbelieveable...
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:30:41 PM »
One of the dumbest things ever to come out of the DEC!
Would it be dumb if your daughter was that age and couldnt pull a bow back?

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:37:27 PM »
Would it be dumb if your daughter was that age and couldnt pull a bow back?

Yes...dumb... 6 days into the Archery season, open gun for a few days where many "parents" will abuse the system...yes...my kids can learn to pull a bow back or wait a little longer in the season to shoot one with a gun...this sucks and I know several Jackwads that will fill tags for their "kids"...I understand the idea...but this is horrible for bowhunting in our state...horrible... >:( >:(  Let the kids hunt within the normal season like everyone else...dumb...
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 01:39:41 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:42:25 PM »
DUMB...now I have to go pick up my kids....
John Wayne

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Let the kids hunt within the normal season like everyone else...dumb...
They have two days to hunt down here in MD and I fully support it. I was once a youth and hunted on youth day and I only got one day. You will always have people that take advantage of the system no matter where you live at. Thats just the way it is. Why are you guys upset? Is it that you dont have the deer numbers to support it?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2012, 02:12:24 PM »
The fact that you have gun hunters in the woods for the first weekend of archery season is a big one. What reason would possibly have to not do it the 2-3 days immediately prior to the gun season. A youth season does nothing to get new hunters into the sport despite what anyone tries to argue. It's also dangerous to have rifles being shot in the woods with full foliage and hunters wearing full camo.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »
The fact that you have gun hunters in the woods for the first weekend of archery season is a big one. What reason would possibly have to not do it the 2-3 days immediately prior to the gun season. A youth season does nothing to get new hunters into the sport despite what anyone tries to argue. It's also dangerous to have rifles being shot in the woods with full foliage and hunters wearing full camo.
Okay, so its more the time of the season that the youth hunts in. They way most have made it sound as if youths shouldnt have a special season for them. I think that is just petty IMHO. While it may not get new youths into the sport its giving the ones that are already hunters a chance. The dangerous part I understand and its stupid your state does not make it madatory to wear hunter orange. I dont know of many states that dont have that law.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
I fully support getting youths involved in the sport...what I do not support or agree with is they changed the bow opener to October 1st this year vice the middle of October (for the good) and our Bow Season goes from October 1st until the third Saturday in November...so we get a month and 3 weeks to bow hunt...Now they throw a short gun season for youths the second weekend of Bow...sorry but our deer are very pressured as it is and a whole weekend of basically opening day one week into bow season...we might as well write off Bow Hunting as we know it...that is the beauty of Bow Season, the deer are not pressured they are pretty much still in their normal routine...once shots are fired you can forget about normal routine...My Dad and Grandfather took me hunting as a youth and I learned plenty...like I said I like the idea of a youth day or two however, plain and simple, the way people think around here...it will be a chance for those with kids in that range to have an "opening day" all to themselves...
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2012, 04:02:33 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline finbuck

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »

Man people are really going to hate when they let you use crossbows during the regular season.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
    Man people are really going to hate when they let you use crossbows during the regular season.

That sucks in my opinion too....but for different reasons...it won't spook the deer like gun shots do...crossbows should be for people who need to use them...not lazy people...
John Wayne

Offline finbuck

• Spiked
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
Well I know many people agree with you on the crossbow issue and I'm there with you but it's coming weather we like it or not. I'd say 2013 or 2014.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal