Author Topic: Down To the Wire  (Read 7651 times)

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
Down To the Wire
« on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:01:56 PM »
This morning was my last shot at filling my buck tag. I got a decent two and a half year old six point, in bow season, then passed up a couple small bucks with the gun here in the southern zone, in hopes of connecting with a big one I'd been hunting in the northern zone, but things didn't work out the way I hoped.

I went out with my bow this morning, more just to be in the woods on my last day to hunt than thinking I'd see anything, let alone shoot one. About eight o'clock, this guy came in from my left and walked within fifteen yards of my blind. At the shot, he took two jumps, then stopped and walked about twenty more yards. He stopped and stood there for a few seconds, looking around, trying to figure out what was going on. At the same time, I'm trying to get another arrow nocked without him seeing me. He stood there for a few more seconds, started to stagger, then went down.

I got him gutted out and was back home having a cup of coffee and tenderloins by 10:00.  8)  He probably won't go more than 110# dressed and has three points on one side and a spike and guard horn on the other.  Thanks for lookin'.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Down To the Wire
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:15:55 PM »
Nice shootin Bob. Way to get it done late season with the bow. Congrats

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2011, 12:18:16 PM »
Well congratulations. Nice way to finish the season off.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:00:04 PM »
Great job Bob, congrats!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
Congratulations...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
way to go .I wish we had some snow down here
no information

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:20:08 PM »
Congratulations Stillhunter.

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
Thanks everybody, I appreciate it. It was just about the last thing I expected when I left the house this morning. I was hoping to catch a deer on It's way into an eight or ten acre patch of tree tops and blackberry briar's this morning and he came out of it. Somebody was probably hunting the other end of the ridge on the adjacent property, pushed him out and I was just lucky to be there. 

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:43:22 PM »
That is what pushes us to keep going after days of seeing nothing, or horrible weather, or fatigue, or lack of confidence........ You just NEVER KNOW............ Your odds are pretty good by just showing up 8) Congrats again Bob!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:22:46 PM »
congrats to you on your fine catch as you call it......story is a good one to.....congrats on a awesome buck

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »

Good job !
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Nice job!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
Congrats!! Good late season buck!!

Offline stillhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
Thanks again Frank and thank you too loonyone, mookie, Deposit and upstatehunter, much appreciated. Like I said, I was just lucky to be in the right place, at the right time.

By the way loonyone, when I said "catch one", it was just a figure of speech. I just meant maybe I could ambush one going into the briar's and tops. ;)

As much as I hate to see it end, I guess It's time to start concentrating on some rabbits, grouse, and if we get some ice this winter, a little ice fishing. Thanks again and good luck to anybody still after 'em.

Bob

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2011, 12:28:45 PM »
Thanks again Frank and thank you too loonyone, mookie, Deposit and upstatehunter, much appreciated. Like I said, I was just lucky to be in the right place, at the right time.

By the way loonyone, when I said "catch one", it was just a figure of speech. I just meant maybe I could ambush one going into the briar's and tops. ;)

As much as I hate to see it end, I guess It's time to start concentrating on some rabbits, grouse, and if we get some ice this winter, a little ice fishing. Thanks again and good luck to anybody still after 'em.

Bob

hook line and sinker.....or walk, stalk and ambush....stil results in the same....A CATCH....lol I was just busting you.....I knew what you meant..........Doreen

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal