Author Topic: Hunting ethics  (Read 5374 times)

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
Hunting ethics
« on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:28:29 PM »
So I found a spot to hunt early in the season and it turned out that a guy had a stand there from the year before so I set some sticks on it so I would know if he checked it when I was there about 2 weeks ago. I went back in today and the stand was gone. It didn't have a lock on it but then again it didn't look like a stand that anyone would be tempted to put in the trouble to steal. Thought it was a little weird that the guy would pull out the stand this close to the season opening. Sooooo... What's the call? Ok to set up a stand there or is it like trying to date your buddy's girlfriend after they break up? Is there a wait time involved?

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: Hunting ethics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Is this Public Land?  I would say if nobody is sitting there nobody will harvest a deer from there...All in all I would say it has to be a judgement call...I would want to avoid having someone walk up and try to sit near me once the season kicks off...if you think the person hunting there moved...why not sit there...?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:24:40 PM »
Is this private land you have permission to hunt on? maybe the guy didn't have permission to be there and you scared him off.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
It's on public land over what seems to be a pretty good spot with some Apple trees. The only thing I'm worried about is if someone stole his stand and then I put mine up there a week later he might think I stole his stand

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
Well if he didn't want it stolen, he would have locked it up....you can't leave a stand on public land with out locking it. I'm gonna guess he came and removed it.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2011, 06:37:53 PM »
I wouldn't sweat that...if it does come up...then tell him exactly what you did and that you weren't gonna hunt there till you noticed the stand was no longer there...good luck I hope the spot works out...post pics when they do!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2011, 07:09:31 PM »
He left so we think, Hunt it.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2011, 07:10:53 PM »
Do you have anymore of those magic sticks that I can put on stands I see to make them disappear? ;D
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline mschott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
Do you have anymore of those magic sticks that I can put on stands I see to make them disappear? ;D

lol  thats what i was thinkin
Bad decisions make for good stories !

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2011, 09:00:54 PM »

Hahaha. those stick i keep very well hidden. Only for special occasions

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »
I dont blame you 8)
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Lobsta54

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »
Did you ever think that although it appears to be a good location to hunt. The reason he moved it was because there are no deer there. He most likely moved on to greener pastures. Take a walk, you may find where he moved it to. 
Some good stands just dry up.

Where are the deer, the deer are where you find them.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2011, 09:45:00 AM »
Did you ever think that although it appears to be a good location to hunt. The reason he moved it was because there are no deer there. He most likely moved on to greener pastures. Take a walk, you may find where he moved it to. 
Some good stands just dry up.

Where are the deer, the deer are where you find them.

My thought exactly.... ;D  I would be looking around a little more....he might not have moved very far.... ;)

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:17:14 PM »

My thought exactly.... ;D  I would be looking around a little more....he might not have moved very far.... ;)

Yup

probably closer to bedding since the apples are a feeding destination that in most cases they arent reaching until nightfall...
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal