Author Topic: NY opener  (Read 2250 times)

Offline keva

• Nubbie
NY opener
« on: Oct 14, 2006, 10:48:40 AM »
How did everyone do?

I saw 5 deer. Two skippers within range. Had about 10 minutes of light before the duck hunters ruined my hunt. No offense to duck hunters I will be doing it this year, but they were trespassing and ruined my first time out this year.

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
Re: NY opener
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2006, 10:55:34 AM »
wind changed direction after i set up in my stand.  Blew towards my shooting lanes. Had a button buck come in and bust me downwind.  I figured if a button could bust me the big boys would also so I left.

FrankM

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »
I didn't see anything Saturday morning.  I think the high winds must have kept them bedded.  In the afternoon the weather changed every 15 minutes from snow to rain to sun and blue sky while the wind seemed to blow from several directions at once.  I did manage to have 2 does come within 30 yards but before the first one stepped into a shooting lane the second one winded me and they both took off.  At least I saw some.  I have the whole season to look forward to.

Offline FarginIcehole

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »
hunted sunday mrning and saw nothing, hunted sunday afternoon and the cornfield that wasnt cut in the morning was now down, saw 22 deer in the field by quitting time but all the deer were 300 yards away.a south wind will have me on the other end of that field soon and i will fill my freezer.  Fargin

Offline pikeon

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2006, 11:14:47 AM »
Still waiting to get out! Still waiting for my power to be turned on. The days leading up to opening day were filled with high expectations. Temps in the 30's with snow showers. I quess we have to watch what we wish for. The truck is still packed with all my gear with the addition of some unwanted lumber! It's great to hear that someone is out and seeing deer. Maybe this weekend.

Offline Big_Buck_Hunter

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 18, 2006, 11:36:53 AM »
Saturday morning hunted a pine stand due to the wind.  Saw 9 does, in and out of the pines, feeding in an alfalfa field.
Sunday morning saw 6 more does from a different stand about 1/2 mile away.

No bucks, so far.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal