Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 104241 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Nice Curves
« on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:12:44 PM »
Decided last fall that I was going to start shooting recurves again, been thinking about it for a few years. Spent this winter getting together the gear I need, and a lot of time watching eBay auctions. I picked up some new Martin recurves from 40-50 lbs to hunt with; found some good deals around christmas waiting for the right auctions to bid.

I waited the longest(after sending a couple damaged ones back) to find a nice one piece recurve that has a light draw and longer length to start out with and work on good form. Ended up with a really nice Bear Tartar target recurve, 66" long, 28# @ 28"(should be 30lbs for my DL). They made these from 1968-72, this one is a '68 according to the serial number; has a copper Bear medallion. Bow is the same age as me, it's in better shape.;D Need to get a string and fletch up some arrows and I'll be shooting it soon, good year for an early Spring.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2019, 04:31:19 PM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »
NICE!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline stickandstring1234

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
thats what im talkin about!!! nice!!

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:32:50 PM »
nice I have a bow like that, but no string...and it is heavier to pull, idk if I can even string it because it has been unstrung for some time and I would like to hunt with it...
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
Here's my old bow, haven't shot it in over 25 years. I found out(saw a similar one up for auction) that this one was made in Danbury, CT in the 60s by Clad Owens owner of the United States Archery Co; 62", 43#@28". Unfortunately it has a slightly twisted limb, probably can be fixed but for now it is a wall hanger, the wood is beautiful.

Need to take some pics of the new ones.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »
The "new" bow looks like it's in great shape for the age and a sharp looking bow too. I have a Black Hawk Avenger 48@28 I got a while back very cheap off ebay. Not a valuable bow, but it's in good shape.  I've been wanting to start shooting it but didn't have anywhere close to get started. I finally got a place to shoot it during archery season. A guy working at the bow shop has an open range around the corner from my house.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 29, 2012, 03:44:13 AM »
not to many people shoot them any more

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #7 on: Feb 29, 2012, 06:19:15 AM »
Nice JJ!!  Hope to see the trophy shots this fall!!  Traditional equipment is even better these days with the arrow improvements...but it is still in the abilities of the shooter...good luck and great looking bows!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:16:56 AM »
As I was cleaning out some stuff at my parents house I came across a bow I remember playing with a long, long time...   Its still in great shape..Its a Shakespare.....  I will have to get some pictures later....  My question is after I get a string for it can I use my compound carbon arrows on it???
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:24:23 AM »
Carbons are the only thing I ever used with mine, I have killed deer with it too. I just had to make sure the fletchings were feathers.........
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
That would depend on the spine of the arrows....most recurve arrows are a little under spined for the weight of the pull. To allow the arrow to flex around the bow at release. Most carbons are a higher spine than what your poundage calls for....So if you shoot 50lbs on your compound, you would need a recurve a little higher in weight.....Most of the lower spined carbons work decent for traditional bows, as they have such a large weight range they will work for....Most likely at full length....uncut....with changes made to the weight of the tip used.....
I started with an old Shakespear fiber glass.....50lbs at 28"....thing was a bear to shoot.... ;D ;D
I would most likely order a half dozen or dozen Easton aluminum arrows for it....use the chart at their web site....and experiment from there...............geeees guys...now I'm starting to get the traditional bug.....gosh dang it..... 8) 8)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »
The term is archer's paradox, the arrow needs to flex around the riser on recurves and longbows; recurves can be easier to shoot because the riser is cut out closer to the center. Arrows need to be tuned to the bow so the have the right amount of flex to shoot accurately. You can add/remove tip weight, cut the arrow, move the rest out or lastly change shafts to accomplish this.

Here's a good video showing paradox, notice how the arrow is spinning but still flexes side to side(arrows don't "fly like darts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNI9BG87qcI

Nice JJ!!  Hope to see the trophy shots this fall!!  Traditional equipment is even better these days with the arrow improvements...but it is still in the abilities of the shooter...good luck and great looking bows!!

Not sure I'll be ready to hunt with a recurve this Fall, we'll see; for now I want to have fun shooting them. ;)
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012, 04:46:39 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Feb 29, 2012, 01:26:25 PM »
Here is the bow...  I googled it and all that came up was a few for sale..

"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #13 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
I was thinking if I hunt with one this fall, I might make my own arrows.... with wood, feathers, and so on...anyone have experience? Ive made a few but not for hunting
Take a Kid outside...

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Feb 29, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I have one around here somewhere too.......wonder where :-\
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal