Author Topic: shot placemant  (Read 3383 times)

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
shot placemant
« on: Oct 27, 2005, 11:25:48 PM »
guys just wanted some ideas on shot placement had a deer go rigght uder my stand and was tempted to shoot through the spine at the shoulder blades and also wanted to know about your thoughts on a close range shot down through the shoulder would i be better to hold above the shoulder and go down or go behind the shoulder  ??? ???

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
Re: shot placemant
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2005, 05:27:34 AM »
It is always better to get a broadside shot, or quartering away. However in this situation, a spine shot will drop the animal in it's tracks and if the major artery that runs under the spine is also severed it is a very quick kill. There was talk, years back of it being a risky shot if the animal was straight below you. The reason being that your arrow bows so much at release that it does not have enough time time straighten out and there is a risk of the bow in the arrow shaft being great enough that you will not impact at your normal point. It is totally a judgement call, if all is calm I would wait for a broadside. If not, right in the rear of the valley made by the shoulder blades dead center.Good luck.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2005, 06:16:06 AM »
If the deer is right under your stand let it walk out 5 yards or so and then take a quartering away shot.....if it's that close it HAS to walk away from you unless it decides to climb your tree.  I took a straight down shot on a deer a couple years back and it went a long way.   I lost the blood trail at one point for alomost 2 hours, then managed to find the deer after a ton of searching.  The trick is to think about where your arrow will exit the animal if you shoot straight down.  Try and make sure the arrow exits on an imaginary line on the belly of the animal a few inches behind the junction where the legs meet the chest.  I still think its a risky shot, but if it's your only option...... 

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:38:53 AM »
risky shot indeed.Like Dr Icegeek said always imagine where your arrow will exit not where it goes in.I would wait till I had atleast a quartering away shot until I took a shot but that is just my opinion.If you feel you can make a clean shot by all means take it, but if you are uncertain I would wait.

Offline Dr. IceGeek

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2005, 10:02:35 PM »
I agree Dwayne...I'll never take that shot again.  I guess when I was younger and still learning the ropes I was just excited to shoot at a deer, now I have so much more respect for the animal and I never will take marginal shots again.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »
thanks guys ended up not seeing a thing yesterday but ill be back out lookin this week i hope

Offline huntwriter

• Nubbie
    • Master Butchers Choice
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:57:38 AM »
If you are not familiar with taking such shoots then I would not attempt it. The spine shot is a very difficult shot plus the target area is reduced by more than half ad to this the mass of heavy bone such as the shoulder blade and the spinal column and you can imagine how difficult such a shot is.

As it has been said here, the best shot is a slightly quartering away shot. But in the woods things are not allways perfect, actually they are never just perfect. That is the reason why I practice shooting all year long with the bow and the rifles. Once my weapons are sighted in I will never shoot at a range again. Instead I do all my practice under field conditions and I will practice every scenario I may encounter including the very difficult shots such as , steep down, steep up, with my body twisted backward from the hip up, around tree trunks, sitting, kneeling and what ever else there is. This type of practice gives me weapon proficiency and the confidence that I can take that difficult shot when it presents itself. But very often I still choose to let a deer walk for another day.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:48:48 PM »
ended up not haveing to worry about that shot as it never happend instead he walke in perfectly broadside at 25 yards and all i had to do was shoot true and i did

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal