Author Topic: Is this natural?  (Read 2084 times)

Offline TroutKing

• Spiked
Is this natural?
« on: Sep 20, 2005, 10:55:44 AM »
Hello all,

I have been a compound bow hunter for over 15 years up here in Maine. OVer the last year, however, I have totally lost interest in compound hunting and wish to embark on a traditional bowhunting career. Is this change normal?? With that in mind, maybe you all could answer me a couple of questions about traditiional archery.

First, recurve vs. longbow. Which is better?

Second, are there any recommendations out there for a good starter traditional bow? Brands, weights, styles, are all appreciated.

Thanks,

TroutKing

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
Re: Is this natural?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2005, 12:24:05 AM »
Yeah it can happen, I don't know why but anyways. I compound hunt, and traditional hunt, although I do more compound hunting, especially in the first of the year to insure that I have enough meat for the year, but yeah, traditional is awesome, so I like to do it as well, although I am relatively new to it and haven't done it for too long, I like it. compound can be pretty easy when you have your stuff down, but I don't know, I don't think you will totally give it up, it still is fun, but to the point, recurve or longbow, I hunt with a recurve when traditionally hunting, but I really want to try stickbow hunting, and make my own bow, I think I would just feel alot more self sufficient, killing something with a bow made from my own hands and wood that I collected.  There are some ways to do it, I can try to post one of the ways if you want, but I don't know what you will want to do, recurve is fun though, but I am sure stick bow is fun as well. If I think of anything else, I will post it.

MASTERGUIDE 

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Is this natural?
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2005, 01:48:08 PM »
I think the longer we hunt the more connected we feel with nature. So it is only natural that we want to get back to the basics when it comes to bow hunting. Recurves are shorter with more power. Long bows are longer and more traditional. It is all a matter of personal preference. Go to your local archery shop and try a few of each type out to find out which is most comfortable for you. Most archery shops now have an indoor range to test out equipment.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal