Author Topic: Frontal Bow Shots  (Read 11817 times)

halfrack33

Frontal Bow Shots
« on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:36:24 PM »
Does anyone ever take them? I wouldn't have ever even considered it until i talked to some guy last week. What happened was i had a <10 yard shot at a doe that knew i was there staring straight at me for minutes. I didn't take the shot and she ran away... When i told someone this the next day they said something about taking a frontal shot right in the throat/neck. I know i could make that shot but it doesn't sound like a good shot (lack of vitals) to me but didn't know if i should consider taking that shot since it does work well with a rifle (btw i obviously already know the difference between knock down power of a rifle and cutting of a blade)??

Offline BearHunter60

• Forked
Re: Frontal Bow Shots
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »
just aim for the white patch on the neck. i wouldn't take the shot personally because I'm not that great of a shot but if you feel confident about it then go for it.

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:50:28 PM »
Only when they're running.  LOL j/k  ;D

I've heard of this shot from a treestand where the deer is quartering toward.  Like any bow shot you have to image the 3D path of your arrow taking into account any bones that might get in the way.  I guess you aim for where the neck meets the body on the near side and exit behind and low in relation to the far side shoulder.  I've heard it does a ton of damage... and it seems like it would.  The broadhead has more contact time with the vitals doing a little more damage.  Not a shot I have taken but it sounds like a good one.

I think minnowguy took a couple elk doing this shot while on the ground by aiming right for the brisket.

http://www.myhuntingforum.com/hunting_forum/index.php?topic=3297.0
« Last Edit: Oct 07, 2009, 01:52:07 PM by knurren »

halfrack33

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
haha, i might consider it if i get my bow cranked up a little... 55lbs right now

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
Chris Bracket on Arrow Afflictions claims on a quartering too shot to aim for the crease between the neck and front shoulder. Which would put the arrow right in the boiler room. Not sure about the frontal aspect sounds like it could be lethal but alot of bone in between you and the vitals. Not sure if I personally would try that one.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 07, 2009, 02:03:28 PM »
I personally know a guy that shot a buck in the neck from a stand and never found the deer. The deer ran off with the arrow stuck in neck.  Another guy I know hit a limb and thought he had missed but when we checked to be sure we found the buck about 75 yards from the stand dead with its wind pipe and juglar cut. Talk about blood loss. I guess taking a neck shot depends on how lucky you feel. Personally I would do it with a bow.

Offline bunnyasassyn

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »
one of the first bucks i shot with a bow was 20 yards broadside...perfect situation..well i musta had the fever pretty good cuz i hit em in front of the shoulder at the base of the neck..the blood trail was like someone painted the woods, missed the wind pipe tho cuz he went about 200 hundred yards an still had his head up when i got to him  :-\ so i guess if the situation was right id take it but would try to hold out for a broadside shot.

Offline MasterAngler

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:08:18 AM »
Chris Bracket on Arrow Afflictions claims on a quartering too shot to aim for the crease between the neck and front shoulder. Which would put the arrow right in the boiler room. Not sure about the frontal aspect sounds like it could be lethal but alot of bone in between you and the vitals. Not sure if I personally would try that one.

This shot I did once on a doe at 20 yrds and she only ran about 20 yrds.  I done a lot of practicing that year and was really confident in my shooting, and it is a nice shot right into the vitals.  I've never liked the neck shot even with a rifle because of the lack of vitals so I wouldn't try it with my bow.  I have a book by Chuck Adams and he talks about taking shots at nearly all angles, even "the brain" shot, between the eyes.  Its important to know your limits, so, if you're confident in your shooting, take it, and if not pass.

upstatehunter

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2009, 03:58:06 AM »
I have taken two with a 1/4 to shot. Both dropped 30 yards from where they were hit. My son shot his last year and she turned just as he released, hit right in front of the shoulder and passed through behind off side shoulder. Went 45 yards. I know a guy who has taken his last three before this fall with this shot, all dropped in sight of the stand. If you are well practiced and confident in your ability to hit a spot, I am for it.

Offline Rairdog

• Nubbie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2009, 05:02:05 AM »
I wouldn't take the shot even though I'm confident in my shooting due to the possibility of the deer jumping the string noise.  Especially if they are looking at you or your direction and not calm. 

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »

"the pocket shot"  Chris is great love his show hes not afraid to walk the fine line of ethics that is sometimes laid out.  I took this shot from a gound blind at a doe a few seasons ago shaft entered right between the brisket and the front shoulder and exited just past the last rib on the far side.  She didnt make it 50 yards.
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2009, 08:05:55 PM »
Most times if you wait, a frontal or quartering to shot will soon become a broadside shot. ;)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline larz

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2009, 12:56:45 PM »
i have taken this shot once on a ten point that i had elready put an arrow in. he was chasing a doe and was detirmended to stay with her as a spike was in the fray. i had intentions to shoot the spike cause i didn't figure the big one would come in with an arrow already in him, i was at full draw and he was still coming so i aimed on the white spot on the brisket and let fly. in all the years i have hunted with a bow. I have never witnessed a more devestating hit then this one. he only ran about forty yards and as a last act of desperation he tried to backtrack but he ran out of blood to go any more.I would not recomend this shot over a good broadside shot but there are worse aiming points and you can't get in the engine room any faster and there are alot of vitals in this passageway.

Offline wackmaster308

• Nubbie
« Reply #13 on: Mar 13, 2015, 11:39:52 AM »
frontal shots work but u hafta be on the spot.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal