Author Topic: Buck fever?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline adrenalin_rush

• Spiked
  • Git-r'-done
Buck fever?
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:10:02 PM »
I have been shooting my bow like 3 times a day just to cure my bad case of buck fever. anyone else cant wait for bow season?
There i was back in the wild again, felt right at home where I belong. And I had that feeling comin' over me again, just like it happened so many times before. Oh Fred Bear, walk with me, down the trails again. Take me back, back where I belong. Oh Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side my friend. And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Buck fever?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:26:23 PM »

OYAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 08:32:47 PM »
i shoot every chance i get and with the temps starting to fall and the leaves starting to change you can bet that im getting pumped

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 09:09:28 PM »
I shoot quite a bit also........  Good luck shooting enough targets to conquer buck fever!!!!!!!!   
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2009, 02:11:19 PM »
I'm just getting good enough to where archery practice is becoming great fun.  The more consistent I am, the more confident I feel and the more fun I have shooting.  My shooting form is becoming more automatic so hopefully I won't have to think very much when that pin drifts over a deer's vitals.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009, 02:12:52 PM by knurren »

halfrack33

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2009, 03:59:51 PM »
first time i ever hunted i was 6 yards away from 3 does. i pulled back the bow and just started shaking until they heard the arrow rattle looked at me for a few seconds and ran.... I think that got it out of my system because i haven't had too much trouble since.

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2009, 07:20:01 PM »
I got it so bad as a teenager hunting with a bow, that I still day dream of a handful of nice deer I should've shot no problem.  It was somewhat of a scar on my ego for a few years. An old timer once told me that it's that buck fever feeling of excitement that makes it all worth while...  It took me awhile to realize that he was right...  A big thing I practice every time I see deer in the woods (Especially BUCKS) is to breath!!  Don't hold your breath and don't look a deer dead in the eye. 
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2009, 07:21:58 PM by Issiah »

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2009, 09:21:28 PM »
NEVER EVER look a deer dead in the eyes!!! Once you figure out he's a shooter, concentrate on those vitals, thats something that helps me out a lot also!  If i ever lose buck fever i will quit deer hunting.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »
Thats the best part of bowhunting.Seems to happen every time even with does.Something about being within a few yards of the deer.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Buckseeker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 02, 2009, 11:24:13 AM »
To Issiah's point, I dream of two deer that "got away" due to buck fever.  During many sleepless nights I have concluded that as soon as you see horn and know it's a shooter, don't look at the horns again until you get to put em in your hands.  Also, I think it is an inarguable fact that bowhunting makes you a better hunter.  You are put in more situations and have to concentrate a lot more on aiming and the shot so this eventually translates into more composure when opportunities present themselves.  If your heart doesn't start beating faster and your nerves aren't a little shaky, you wouldn't be on this forum or leave a warm bed at 4:00 am. 

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 02, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
I agree with not looking at the antlers. I had a near oppertunity two years ago on a nice buck (haven't got a nice one yet) I watched him come for a while and once I saw the height of his tines and he he cocked his head up I saw the beam tips were almost touching I never looked at his head again. I watched his chest for a while until he got run off by the doe that came right to my ladder. Could have only been a real big 4, fine by me. My point is I didn't get the shakes until after they left. Happens to me every time I shoot any deer, I'm fine until after the shot, then I can hardly get out of the stand without falling after 30 minutes.

Offline outbackshooter

• Spiked
« Reply #11 on: Sep 02, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »
Picking a spot is a good rule of thumb but aim at the exit spot so yor aiming through the deer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal