Author Topic: mock scrapes  (Read 3549 times)

Offline adrenalin_rush

• Spiked
  • Git-r'-done
mock scrapes
« on: Aug 30, 2009, 10:47:45 AM »
Last year i bought a scrape dripper and some trails end scent and hung it in some low hanging branches next to my tree stand. took a rake and raked up a big spot in the dirt and let it set for a few days. it is the type of dripper when it gets warm outside then it drips. i missed an 8 point from about 10 yds. because it was dark out and could hardly see my pins. anyone else used one? ???
There i was back in the wild again, felt right at home where I belong. And I had that feeling comin' over me again, just like it happened so many times before. Oh Fred Bear, walk with me, down the trails again. Take me back, back where I belong. Oh Fred Bear, I'm glad to have you at my side my friend. And I'll join you on the big hunt before too long.

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Nubbie
Re: mock scrapes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
I have never used a drip but I did intentionally mess up a buck scrape and that buck was really P'd off when he came around again....he ended up getting an arrow in him as an attitude adjustment  ;D

I would also like to know everyone's experience with mock scrapes and drips amd how effective they are
Keeps Your Guns Clean !!      NiagaraJiggin

Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Aug 30, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »
I have never tried a dripper myself but have heard of people having  good success using one. I had an older guy tell me one time he pee's in the bucks scrape. He claimed by doing this he was speaking the bucks language and it had the same effect of another buck using it. Hope you guys got as much of a laugh out of this statement as I first did.

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 30, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
When I hunt the bucks are in usually in the rut. I use Tinks 69 Doe In Heat in one dripper bottle over the real scrape I found, and another top brand of doe urine in a second dripper bottle over a scrape I made nearby the real scrape. I figure this way the buck that made the scrape smells two different doe scents and thinks there are two doe in his area ready to breed.

When I am hunting over these scrapes, I also use a doe bleat call.

Over the past six years I have taken a 7 pointer, 10 pointer, and two 8 pointers hunting this way

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 30, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »
I took a doe that stoped at a mock scrap with a dripper (it had doe pee in it). I have two and the seem to work well. I leave them up sometimes a week at a time as I usually will hunt near by for the duration..

halfrack33

« Reply #5 on: Aug 30, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
i had a camera on one last year and it worked. all you need is for a deer to come to it once and then it becomes a real scrape

Offline outbackshooter

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2009, 07:41:58 PM »
Scrape drippers are very effective they condition bucks to check scrapes during daylight hours. Also if you can get a tarsal gland off a buck from another area say 20 + miles from your area the intruder buck smell drives the bucks in your area nuts just hang from a branch You could also use the nut sack.
                                           Good luck

Offline nhxbowhunter

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
there is a "mock scrape starter by tinks,,i opened it up and smells like ammonia...i am going to try some ammonia water mix i mixed up,smells pretty close,,anyone else ever heard of ammonia being used..just curious..
thanks
AND ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED WHITETAILS

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:01:20 AM »
Scrape drippers are very effective they condition bucks to check scrapes during daylight hours. Also if you can get a tarsal gland off a buck from another area say 20 + miles from your area the intruder buck smell drives the bucks in your area nuts just hang from a branch You could also use the nut sack.
                                           Good luck

I've been thinking about finding another scrape afew miles away and digging up the dirt and making a scrape at my place.

I've also heard of peeing in the scrape, it makes the buck come back to "refresh" it more often.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:25:38 AM »
I'm planning on moving my two trailcams this weekend, as I haven't seen a buck on them since may. One I'm putting one in the middle of a rubbed up patch of field edge from last year. The other I was planning to move to an actual scrape from last year, figure I'll wait until I see a buck use the scrape before I put a dripper on it. Only three more weeks here!

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2009, 06:31:05 AM »
Even if you don't buy any of the urine or mock scrape products, making a scrape is a good way to get a buck to stop where you want him in bow distance.  Even with out the scent, they still sometimes check them out and if you can incorporate it into your set up you can get him to stop in one of your shooting lanes.

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2009, 09:04:56 AM »
Even if you don't buy any of the urine or mock scrape products, making a scrape is a good way to get a buck to stop where you want him in bow distance.  Even with out the scent, they still sometimes check them out and if you can incorporate it into your set up you can get him to stop in one of your shooting lanes.

So do you thing making a scrape and wizzing in it would work?

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »
So do you thing making a scrape and wizzing in it would work?

I don't know, I've never tried it.  One of the writers for Field & Stream said it did work.  If I every try it or if I can find the article again, I will post about it.

Making a mock scrape at the very least appeals to the curiosity of deer.  Rubs can do a similar thing; if a buck is not alarmed and is acting naturally, they want to check it out.  They have pre-orbital glands on their forehead which leaves scent on rubs.  So when they're acting naturally and they see rubs or scrapes, they want to investigate who else might be in their neighborhood by smelling them.  Maybe the only quality stand location you can find in this funnel is 30 yards off a run and you want to bring that buck in to 20 yards.  A mock scrape might do that for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal