Author Topic: Awesome Hunt  (Read 3687 times)

Offline Otter

• Nubbie
  • The forest is mine
Awesome Hunt
« on: Jan 12, 2005, 07:19:17 AM »
Fat Boy and I hunted public land Monday.  In the morning he saw 9 deer and I saw 2 of those 9 deer.  We thought we'd see more, as some people were pushing deer on the land that bordered the land we were hunting.  Fat Boy had to leave a little early in the evening, so I moved to a spot that was farther away from him.  At 2 PM I climbed a tree that overlooked a small creek with multiple crossings within shooting range.  It was a known spot where I'd seen many deer in the past.  I was 3/4 of the way up the tree when 6 does ran along the creek toward me.  They heard me climb and bolted across the creek and up the hill to the bedding area.  I was somewhat disappointed because my instincts told me to change spots a half hour earlier and I didn't listen to 'em.  Shortly after I settled down into my stand, around 2:30 PM I noticed some deer coming out of the bedding area and feeding across the creek off the property.  From that point until the end of my hunt I watched deer feeding, mostly off the property.  During the afternoon I had a few opportunities as deer fed their way onto the property and into my shooting lanes, but I chose not to shoot them.  It seemed like the deer were getting smaller and smaller as each one past in and out of range.  I saw one 5-point buck following a doe around and had a shot at him if I wanted, but I passed.  Later that afternoon, around 4:00 PM, a group of bucks (4 pointer, cow-horn spike, devil-looking spike, spike with one side broken off, and a button-head) came into range across the creek and off the property.  They encountered a cat, and after a little hoof stomping they ran farther down to my left and the cat ran farther to my right and eventually disappeared.  During this whole time, there were numerous does feeding to my left from 50-150 yards away from me.  It was difficult to count them, as they were feeding in and out of heavy cover.  Around 5:00 PM, the bucks made their way down the creek within range (although still off the property).  As they were feeding, I noticed a larger racked buck challenge them and it appeared to be chasing does and at one point I thought he was working a scrape.  This is odd behavior, as the rut ended in early December, so perhaps they're on the second rut.  Eventually, this buck moved out of sight.  After feeding a while the scraggly group of bucks crossed the creek 30 yards to my left and onto the property.  They began feeding on brambles and ground cover and they slowly passed through my shooting lanes, it was now around 5:20 PM and the light was fading.  I was enjoying my time watching these deer, and I didn't even consider shooting them.  Suddenly, I heard a noise on the other side of the creek!  I looked and I could see a shadowy figure through the brush, coming down near crossing where the other bucks crossed.  However, this deer decided to go left instead of right and he would cross at the primary crossing, which my stand overlooked.  I thought, "this might be the big deer I saw earlier."  When the deer passed around the brush on the shoreline, I saw his rack, it was that buck!  He passed directly behind my stand at 15 yards (off the property) and I slowly and quietly stood up in my treestand.  He walked along my side of the creek now (on the property) and offered me a 5-yard shot that was almost straight down.  I passed and waited patiently for a better shot.  He walked up my right side and I changed position.  He offered me a 10 yard shot walking away and I passed on that shot, still looking for a better angle.  Then he walked behind a tree at 10 yards.  Damnit!  He could be walking straight out of sight in the path of the tree and I'd never have a shot!  Then, something behind me, probably another deer made a splash into the creek and this scared the buck right into one of my 20-yard shooting lanes.  I drew back and I could barely see the buck in the fading light, but I put my yellow fiber optic pin behind his shoulder and fired.  I could not see the arrow, but I saw the buck jump as if he'd been hit.  I waited 40 minutes or so before tracking him, and I found good blood.  I had traveled light today without much of my necessary equipment, so I exited the woods and went to Fat Boy's house to borrow some gear.  I gave the deer a couple more hours and found him at 10 PM, a nice 9-pointer.  I'll post the pics here when I have them available.  I just moved back to Maryland late last week, what a great welcome to shoot a nice buck on the first hunting trip back home!  ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2005, 12:04:42 PM by Otter »

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
Re: Awesome Hunt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2005, 05:45:42 PM »
Congrats on the nice buck Otter!!  Sounds like a great hunt!  The late season can be a blast and is often overlooked.  By the way, I've seen fresh scrapes as late as March before and from what you saw Mon. I bet you have a pretty good idea what caliber of bucks continue to scrape through most of the year. ;) ;D

Offline Blaze Orange

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2005, 04:53:45 PM »
Congrats on a nice buck. What did it score? Way to go  ;D
never fails, when you need to take a leak you miss the big one.

Offline Otter

• Nubbie
  • The forest is mine
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2005, 07:34:08 PM »
Took head & cape to the taxidermist today and he unofficially scored it in the 130s.  Hopefully it won't lose to much when it dries out.  I'm crossing my fingers... ::)

Offline DROP TINE

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:14:44 PM »
Awesome buck!  Nothing like taken it with a bow.  That will make a darn good wall wount.  Congrats!!
LOOK AT DA SIZE A DAT ONE!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal