Author Topic: Used bows for starters?  (Read 5138 times)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
Used bows for starters?
« on: Nov 09, 2013, 10:00:20 AM »
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a used bow, just for something to mess around with.  I haven't shot a bow since high school.  No intentions to hunt at this point, since I barely have time for gun season, let alone bow.  There is a PSE Polaris Express just a few minutes from here on Craigslist for $40.  Wondering if it might be worth the pickup, or if it'll be a money pit.  No idea what might come along with it, so don't know if he has a rest, release, sight, arrows, etc.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2013, 10:01:03 AM by Chucker »
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
Re: Used bows for starters?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a used bow, just for something to mess around with.  I haven't shot a bow since high school.  No intentions to hunt at this point, since I barely have time for gun season, let alone bow.  There is a PSE Polaris Express just a few minutes from here on Craigslist for $40.  Wondering if it might be worth the pickup, or if it'll be a money pit.  No idea what might come along with it, so don't know if he has a rest, release, sight, arrows, etc.  What do you think?

If it is fully outfitted it's a no brainer ….    if you have to have it serviced, restrung and buy all of the accessories i would say don't consider it.

I have an old Browning you are welcome to for free ….   it has killed deer in the past.

Or STKA has a nice Matthews for sale  8)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 09, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
I'm betting it might be naked, since the ad has been up for over a week.  Guess it wouldn't hurt to call and find out though...

Thanks for the offer, John - very generous of you.  Will think about it  ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 09, 2013, 02:47:36 PM »
If I were you Kevin I would check out some bow shops for used stuff...
If you buy one some where else you would have to take it to a shop and have it fitted to you...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
Check around a bit....if your thinking about hunting with it at some point....I got Tyler's off E bay for around 150.00 fully equipped...Mine the same but brand new left over for less than 200.....
I'd take the Browning..... ;D ;D ;D
Tyler has one...shoots deer....shoots well as a matter of fact....
Like Raquette said...fitting is another expense...unless it can be adjusted with out a press...or cams...or string....or......then your talking a bow that is less than 10 years old....
OR!!!! go traditional like JJ......always recurves around at garage sales and such.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
OR!!!! go traditional like JJ......always recurves around at garage sales and such.... ;D ;D ;D

I'm a middle-aged, out of shape, couch potato white male - I need something with let off  ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2013, 04:47:07 PM »
 ooops....sorry.....Go crossbow..... ;)

Offline Mearzy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2013, 05:53:50 PM »
I have had a Browning Stalker Recurve forever, still do.  Decided I needed to advance to a compound and did the Craigslist thing and ended up with a ancient PSE "Money Pit" ended up trading that in and picked up a Mission Craze; yes it may strike you as a kids bow but for the money ($289+/-) it offers way more, compact axle to axle, 80% let off, extremely adjustable draw and poundage without a bow press.  I shot it for one season and really enjoyed it for what its worth the wife shoots it now and I finally got into the Hoyt of my dreams.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2013, 05:56:02 PM »
If it is fully outfitted it's a no brainer ….    if you have to have it serviced, restrung and buy all of the accessories i would say don't consider it.

I have an old Browning you are welcome to for free ….   it has killed deer in the past.

Or STKA has a nice Matthews for sale  8)

I think I'm actually giving it to my brother.

I was actually going to recommend a recurve too.

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2013, 12:44:10 PM »
New bows aint cheap nowadays. I would suggest getting a used bow for starters.  My current bow is a PSE Nova that I picked up at Wally Wolrd on clearance for $99, ratails for $225....that wa years ago.  Anyway new bows are crazy reduculous expensive these days. 
A. White

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2013, 05:11:35 AM »
http://utica.craigslist.org/spo/4189249692.html

Not a bad deal....there are a bunch of them on CL...just have to weed through the garage sale 20.00 bows that people thing are worth 100.00... ::) ::) ::)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2013, 05:30:10 AM »
Like John said, I'm nervous about picking up something used, then it becoming a money pit (mostly because I have no idea what I'm looking at).  I might just hold off until a little later in gun season, then hit some shops to see what has been brought in.  Need to send a note to 33Canuck too, to see who he suggests for Rochester area shops.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2013, 05:34:34 AM »
Like John said, I'm nervous about picking up something used, then it becoming a money pit (mostly because I have no idea what I'm looking at).  I might just hold off until a little later in gun season, then hit some shops to see what has been brought in.  Need to send a note to 33Canuck too, to see who he suggests for Rochester area shops.

you need to go to Tims Gun Shop in Elbridge....that isnt too far from you....Hey I will be out your way........... going to Watkins Glen this weekend.....Have fun

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal