Author Topic: Check your Loop strings  (Read 11884 times)

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Check your Loop strings
« on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:03:53 AM »
Made a bad shot on a big Doe Saturday AM, didn't hunt Sunday, when I got home from camp I went out back to shoot my bow to make sure it wasn't the issue, (I am pretty sure I hit a limb, but I have to rule out everything), half way in my draw my Loop String came undone, I'll tell you what my face isn't very pretty, had that happened when I was shooting at that doe I would have fell out of my stand and tested my harness, after a good amount of blood everywhere, my teeth are still in my head but it definitely was a wake up call.  I am very good at taking care of my stuff and I check it often but you never know when something is going to malfunction...if that happens in a tree and you aren't wearing a safety harness it can get REAL fast...after you laugh at me for having a fat/split lip like a scope coming back and cutting around your eye, make sure you look at this stuff, you never know, I have been bow hunting since 1991 and I have never had it happen but it only takes once...my hunting share that hopefully helps someone someday... Congrats to my Buddy Pat for getting a nice Archery 8 point!

« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 07:07:57 AM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
Re: Check your Loop strings
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:19:50 AM »
dang sorry to hear about the doe and your face. you are right tho thankfully it didnt happen while you were in your stand, glad you are ok and congrats to your buddy that is a great 8 pointer
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
never think to check the loop on my bow thanks for the heads  up. Glad you are ok.
no information

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2013, 12:05:24 PM »
Fixed now...new loop and new rest...starting from scratch...
John Wayne

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
well I guess the only good thing about that is it didn't happen while hunting.. hope your face heals and your back hunting next weekend

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Nov 04, 2013, 05:11:05 PM »

Tough weekend bud....... You are in for a great one next time ;)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #6 on: Nov 04, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »
Anyone looking to not have this happen might want to check out a knotless loop, they are harder to install(need a press) but last longer than the string and can't come off. Been using them for years and really like them; my thoughts are that is a lot of tension for a know to hold. Good to hear you didn't get hurt too bad.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Do you have more info on them?
John Wayne

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:06:16 PM »
Here is the tutorial I used to built mine.  It does take some trial and error to perfect it but once you get it they are easy to make.  I use 425x instead of serving and do less wraps around the nails to make it thinner.  They do show you a way to install them without a press but i like to instal them with a press as it's just like a D lope that way.http://archeryreport.com/2010/08/tie-catfishtorqueless-bowstring-loop/
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013, 08:09:24 PM by hesseltine32 »

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Glad to hear you're alright!  I've thought about this a couple of times, and check my loop a couple times each season.  I'm not certain what I'm looking for though. :-\  Has anyone tried the metal loop that screws to your string?  I would think it would be more dependable.  They're called Ultra-Nok.
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2013, 09:14:22 AM by OTIS »

Offline NYSporty

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »
Glad to hear you're alright!  I've thought about this a couple of times, and check my loop a couple times each season.  I'm not certain what I'm looking for though. :-\  Has anyone tried the metal loop that screws to your string?  I would think it would be more dependable.  There called Ultra-Nok.

I use the ultra nok and love it

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2013, 09:16:11 AM »
Looks like they are made in America too.  http://www.qadinc.com/2011-Ultra-Nok.html

Offline bigbuck150

• Fawn
« Reply #13 on: Jul 12, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »
I always check my D loop and bowstring when I come in from a hunt.  You never know what kind of damage can be done out in the field

Offline CarterAvery

• Nubbie
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2016, 09:41:58 AM »
Or you could just cut the D-loop off and use it like a manly traditional bowstring.. believe it or not I did this instead of replacing my Hoyt Faktor 30 bowstrings! Not to bring up an old topic but I was actually just searching this same question over the internet and came across this thread. Thanks for the good responses guys.. even though it was a few years ago this stuff is still pertinent to little old me!
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2016, 09:44:29 AM by CarterAvery »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal