Author Topic: Do does taste better??  (Read 29585 times)

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
Re: Do does taste better??
« Reply #30 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:41:01 PM »
I have found that  a doe that has been nursing has a different odor and taste to the meat.  I have also found that a old buck sometimes taste the best.  The best deer meat I have ever consumed was a old buck that my cousin covered in salt ,wrapped in plastic and buried it for a couple months in our grand parents farms root cellar.  When he uncovered it and unwrapped it, the meat was all black.  He cut away the black meat to uncover the best venison I have ever had and will never forget.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:18:25 AM »
Gotta disagree on that one. If the temps allow I'll hang em for two weeks or more. Best deer I ever ate  was a 260 lb buck shot by a friend up to the Forks. It hung for three weeks. Let em hang.
x2 We have hung deer for a whole month before and the meat is tender and perfect! I also found that any deer is tender if you slice it paper thin and put it on toast! mm mmm  I only slice my steak like this now and even bought a deli slicer. I like to be able to hold the meat against a light and see right through it! Boy I love venison sandwiches!  ;D Even my wife that didnt like deer meat when we got together is now always pushing me to bring her home a deer! It really sucks having to hunt so much!  ;)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:20:19 AM »
x2 We have hung deer for a whole month before and the meat is tender and perfect! I also found that any deer is tender if you slice it paper thin and put it on toast! mm mmm  I only slice my steak like this now and even bought a deli slicer. I like to be able to hold the meat against a light and see right through it! Boy I love venison sandwiches!  ;D Even my wife that didnt like deer meat when we got together is now always pushing me to bring her home a deer! It really sucks having to hunt so much!  ;)

I just made chipped veni on toast.......(chipped beef sorta) and wow was that a yummy breakfast.......  :D :D :D :D

Offline johndeere540

• 8 Pointer
  • If the lead aint flyin, the backstrap aint fryin!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2012, 08:22:05 AM »
I will have to try that Loony! That sounds really good!   ;D

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:09:39 AM »
On the average does seem to be more tender than bucks, especially barren does. I hang my bucks and age them to get them tender so in the end they come out tasting as good as a doe but processing a doe is less work and I don't have to be as careful with aging etc. to get nice tender meat. I like that here in Montana I can get two deer sometimes more if we get damage control permits. On years when I get two deer tags it is usually a buck " A"tag and an antlerless "B" tag so I get one of each. To make the doe taste good is less work than making the buck taste good. I like that I can get good meat in the freezer early and then go look for a big buck to test my hunting skills against in the later season.

Offline sniperwolf

• Spiked
« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
I know you havent lived till you have a born and raised corn/soybean eater from MD. Melts in your mouth dont care how old they are. Mountain deer on the other hand not so much.
I agree 100%. I have gotten deer in wilson ny and deer in welsville ny the 2nd being hill country with little in the way of crops.The corn and bean fed ones definitely taste better hands down.Makes sense,I grew up on a farm and when it was close to butchering time we fattened the cows up on a straight grain diet!Pops said it was for marblizing the meat(flavor)

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:02:24 AM »
I have gotten deer in wilson ny and deer in welsville ny the 2nd

I gave some friends in welsville NY....his family nice family

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
The mountain deer at my camp eat mainly berry browse and beach with misc grasses, these deer taste better and are more tender than the deer 20 min away in the farm country...I've shot deer in the fingerlakes with all those oaks and ag crops that taste different from those, and shot deer on anticosti island that taste completely different...I like them all
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Turkeyslayer

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2013, 09:20:42 AM »
I believe it all depends on  animal I feel that all 18 month old deer taste great good flavor and plenty tender my best so far was a young doe you could literally cut the meat with your fork but the past couple of years I've got a couple of spike horns that where almost as good.  I've also had a moose that went 923lbs that was really good flavor and extremely tender and smaller moose that you had to make sausage out of it cause you couldn't chew it

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #39 on: Nov 24, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »
I believe how fast they die has a lot to do with how they taste..
The buck I got last year was an older deer but died in his tracks and was the best tasting deer we have had...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #40 on: Nov 24, 2013, 11:39:24 AM »
I'm a big fan of letting them hang for a while I've let deer hang for over a month before. I will agree younger deer tend to be more tender.  Was taught big bucks you let hang for a couple weeks if temps are right and it makes the meat more tender.  Not sure if this is true just what my family has always done.
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2013, 11:40:48 AM by hesseltine32 »

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Nov 24, 2013, 11:58:21 AM »
I believe how fast they die has a lot to do with how they taste..
The buck I got last year was an older deer but died in his tracks and was the best tasting deer we have had...

2nd that raquett. I have noticed that deer that drop seem to be better then those that run. It could have nothing to do with it but it seems to stand true personally. Iv also heard people call adrenaline  natures marinade so who knows. All I know is I have a ton of venison and I like it all. If I could just get my photobucket account situated id have some photos up.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Nov 24, 2013, 01:14:45 PM »
All I know is I have a ton of venison and I like it all.

Good ….  because when we go ice fishing i don't have any  :o  ..yet  8)

Congrats  ….   what did you get?

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #43 on: Nov 24, 2013, 02:35:51 PM »
ship I may not go with you if you don't have any.
no information

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #44 on: Nov 24, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »
Cody I would never let something I'm gonna eat hang outside any longer than I have to...   I skin it as soon as I get it home and start butchering it the next day even if its cold enough....
As far as tenderizing it I take it out of the freezer as much as 7 days before we eat it and leave it in the refrigerator emptying the blood out every day...    just my opinion and how I do it..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal