Author Topic: BAITING DEER  (Read 36730 times)

Offline WHITETAILFEVER

• Nubbie
BAITING DEER
« on: Apr 22, 2008, 07:15:15 AM »
I Know That In Ny Putting A Pile Of Corn,apples,carrots Etc...just To Lure The Deer In Or Onto A Property Is Illeagle But Why Is Building A Food Plot Just To Lure In The Deer Leagle?does This Make Sence To You?i Know The Cwd(chronic Wasting Disease)has Had Something To Do With It Because They Dec(dept.of Environmental Conservation)dosen't Want The Deer To Gather In Herds?but What About The Food Plots And Or Herding Up In The Winter Months?i Have Only Herd Of 3 Cases Of Cwd In Ny(southernteir) But That Was A Couple Of Years Ago And Nothing Sence?i In My Opinion If You Own The Property Pay The State Taxes You Should Be Able To Do What You Want To Do On It.does Anybody Here Agree Or Disagree?
LIKE TO WORK LOVE TO HUNT

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
Re: BAITING DEER
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22, 2008, 07:13:16 PM »
Go for it just don't post it on here,do it out of sight.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 23, 2008, 06:51:24 AM »
Well I don't agree with baiting PERIOD, it's called baiting because it's not hunting. You don't have to search too far on this site to find out the strong feelings both ways on this subject.

That said, I think the powers that may be are OK with food plots for one, they bring in tax dollars for all the crap you have to buy to get one started and keep one going. Second I think they feel it is OK because it is a source of year round nutrition and not something concentrated 20 yards from your stand for the sole purpose of killing an animal. If your food plot is so small it's concentrated 20 yards from your stand, chances are unless it's the Filet Mignon of Legumes it's not going to attract any deer. 

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Apr 23, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
Go for it just don't post it on here,do it out of sight.

Great response...encourage someone to commit an illegal act!!  ::)  Who cares that young, impressionable minds visit this site and read that other people might be getting away with committing a crime.  Why not "hunt" your trophies at high-fence [butcher] preserves...it's equivalent in skill level!!  >:(

In general, food plots do not "lure" deer into shooting range...they provide an additional feed resource replet with necessary minerals/supplaments to maximize deer growth, both antler and health.  It requires considerable amounts of time and effort to till, plant, and maintain a food plot.   It's no different then hunting over acorns or on the edges of apple orchards/field crops because you cannot guarantee that deer will actively seek out a traditional food source.  If you have questions/concerns regarding this question...I would contact your local DEC office to confirm the difference between baiting and food plots...especially considering waterfowl hunting (different regulations considering baiting over harvested fields).

Footnote:  I do not nor have not grown any form of food plots...I rely 100% on nature to provide sustenance for deer, but I'm not a trophy hunter either so I don't care about premium antler growth.

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 23, 2008, 02:41:36 PM »
Great response...encourage someone to commit an illegal act!!  ::)  Who cares that young, impressionable minds visit this site and read that other people might be getting away with committing a crime.  Why not "hunt" your trophies at high-fence [butcher] preserves...it's equivalent in skill level!!  >:(

In general, food plots do not "lure" deer into shooting range...they provide an additional feed resource replet with necessary minerals/supplaments to maximize deer growth, both antler and health.  It requires considerable amounts of time and effort to till, plant, and maintain a food plot.   It's no different then hunting over acorns or on the edges of apple orchards/field crops because you cannot guarantee that deer will actively seek out a traditional food source.  If you have questions/concerns regarding this question...I would contact your local DEC office to confirm the difference between baiting and food plots...especially considering waterfowl hunting (different regulations considering
 baiting over harvested fields)Footnote:  I do not nor have not grown any form of food plots...I rely 100% on nature to provide sustenance for deer, but I'm not a trophy hunter either so I don't care about premium antler growth.

I was being sarcastic ,If he wants bait I don't want to read about it here, I am not a trophy hunter either unless it shows first.BB
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2008, 02:44:16 PM by Bailbuster »

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 24, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »
Sorry about the condemnation...it just did not read as sarcasm.  I realize it's hard to differentiate when using written language vs. spoken, so maybe try include emots or writing in italics when responding sarcastically.    8)

Offline WHITETAILFEVER

• Nubbie
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2008, 06:10:50 AM »
GUYS ITS JUST A QUESTION RELAX!!!!!AND NO I DON'T BAIT DEER.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2008, 08:34:06 AM »
Food plots are just miniature farm fields.  Its just some thing for the deer to eat. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline WHITETAILFEVER

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2008, 08:44:25 AM »
Food plots are just miniature farm fields.  Its just some thing for the deer to eat. 
I DISSAGREE WITH WHAT YOUR SAYING.I BELIEVE ITS THE OTHER WAY AROUND.FOOD PLOTS GIVE THE DEER THEIR NUTRITION LIKE PROTIEN,MINERALS ETC...APPLES,CORN,CARROTS ARE JUST FILLERS FOR THE DEER.BUT I'M SURE THERE IS SOME SORT OF NUTRITION.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2008, 10:28:09 AM »
The food plots we've planted use the same seed that is used on our farm fields. 
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline MnSportsman

• Spiked
  • Called uphill with hens...It can be done
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
To me, there is a difference in providing habitat for game animals , & placing a "bait" near where you are going to hunt.
     Providing a food plot for the animals that you're possibly going to hunt, along with all the other wildlife that could get some use out of the habitat you create, is beneficial to all of the wildlife that is going to frequent the area.  There's a lot of work involved in planting the crops, & possibly even harvesting some of those crops for your own use. The farmers in my area here, don't bait much(that I know of) , but do leave some standing corn/beans for the wildlife to feed on over the winter. Not just for hunting, but to provide a meal or two for the resident wildlife. Remember, coyotes & other predators will reap benefits from the food plot habitat, not just game animals for you to harvest for food. Those same predators won't necessarily be able to take advantage of a "bait"pile. A bait pile is generally short term, & doesn't help the natural environment as a whole. It is generally set for attraction during a hunting season & doesn't have the same long term effects as providing a food plot would.

So, to my way of thinking, Food plots are fine, Baiting is fine also.(If done legally/your statutes allow for it). But I do think there is a definite difference between the two.

Another Spring Tom  <>   Me & some of the Good Ol' Boys  <>  Belle with her first birds @ 9 months{R.I.P.}

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2008, 03:39:09 PM »
I know i wouldnt mind it if baiting became legal........i dont see the diifference if your hunting over a corn field or a pile of corn.........i heard Ted Nugent say on tv one time if you dont believe in baiting then dont hunt over scent lure because thats no different you're still putting something in the woods that wasnt placed  there by mothernature.....or hunting a highly traveled deer trail you know the deer use the trail just like you know they would use a bait site........if they made it legal and you dont agree with it you dont have to do it

upstatehunter

« Reply #12 on: Apr 29, 2008, 04:24:54 AM »
I know i wouldnt mind it if baiting became legal........i dont see the diifference if your hunting over a corn field or a pile of corn.........i heard Ted Nugent say on tv one time if you dont believe in baiting then dont hunt over scent lure because thats no different you're still putting something in the woods that wasnt placed  there by mothernature.....or hunting a highly traveled deer trail you know the deer use the trail just like you know they would use a bait site........if they made it legal and you dont agree with it you dont have to do it

Also heard uncle Ted say, If you don't believe in baiting for deer, try fishing with a bare hook, see how many fish you catch.
I may not agree in some places but can't say it is good or bad in others. (Texas seems to be doing well).
Scott

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 29, 2008, 08:38:44 AM »

Also heard uncle Ted say, If you don't believe in baiting for deer, try fishing with a bare hook, see how many fish you catch.
I may not agree in some places but can't say it is good or bad in others. (Texas seems to be doing well).
Scott

In the same seance, try releasing a baited deer :-\

Offline Bailbuster

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Apr 29, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »
You don't have to shoot it just because it comes to the bait just scare it off.Long distance release.If it's legal and you want to bait go for it.everything eats at a bait pile as they do a food plot,if you don't think so put some feed out  and a trail cam on it.When it was legal here to feed deer we fed from the day after muzzy until spring I had a  feeder across the road from the house everything fed at it.BB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal