Author Topic: openning day  (Read 6585 times)

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
openning day
« on: Oct 11, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Was wondering who alls going out for first day tomorrow? Can't wait to start my first season waterfowling. Really looking forward to learning a new style of hunting. I took a 2 day hunt last season in Maryland for duck and goose with a guide and thatwas all it took for me to get hooked! Wondering why I haven't tried it sooner. So now I'm gonna try to do it by myself..pickedup a few good calls and about dozen and half of decoys to start. Any pointers always appreciated from seasoned vets!
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
Re: openning day
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
not sure where your hunting you never stated but here in NY it can be hard with all the pressure b4 deer guns season...so with that said on big open water like ontairo lake sometimes less is more till the deer guys are off deer hunting leaving just the real duck hunter to our self...less ls more meaning everyone out there uses 12 mallard decoys and does the same U shape spread with a mojo...well yea that will kill you birds day in and day out but if you change it up like I do I use 18 floating goose and 3 mallard 1 hen 2 drakes then I use 6-8 full bodys in the shallows and hammer the birds most days....but all in all you cant kill birds if you don't take the time to drive around the lake and find what bays the birds are using....I used to put 20-30 miles a afternoon on my truck b4 the next days hunt just looking to see what the birds are doing witch way they are coming from and how many birds are in each flock...the smaller the flock the easier they will work your set up  meaning less eyes looking into your spred to see a decoy string or a piece of swamp grass on the back of a single decoy...im not saying you wont kill out of a big flock but its harder then one might think...also make sure you use just the right amount of string for each decoy you don't want a mile of line out at a time just enough to keep it in its place and this is especially true when it comes to shallow clear water bays...hope this helped and sorry I jumped around a lil bit

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:13:32 AM »
Thanks for good info...sorry to not mention location...I live in northeastern PA.   :o

Offline wyo969

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:35:40 AM »
Best of luck to you hopefully the birds are more cooperative for you then they were in Wyoming opening day. Also don't work get early in the season you don't need to over call them.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
Thanks for good info...sorry to not mention location...I live in northeastern PA.   :o
its all good brotha im down in southern ny near Corning/bath area...you hunt the tigoa or Chemung rivers at all or you close to them?? they have some good flights of mallards, blacks and  some woodies every once in a while..good luck this season hope to see some dead duck pics

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2013, 12:12:52 PM »
No, on the Susquehanna River...above Wikes Barre

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2013, 01:21:35 PM »
No, on the Susquehanna River...above Wikes Barre
yes of course I didn't even think of that lol... the Tioga ,Chemung and the Cohocton flow into the susquehanna...iv never hunted down there I hear its real big hard water to hunt...I had a buddy a few years ago lose all his blinds when the flood hit in the Binghamton area

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »
The place I go has 4 small ponds right alongside the river. Its a nice spot that has a good amount of mallards and woodies.

Offline nyduckman

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »
very nice good luck this weekend...im sitting this season out for the most part other then a few local spots I can walk into...ice ate a good chunk outa my 16ft lund last year when the wind switched and pushed pack ice into the launch..and my dumb a$$ just thought id drive right thu it to shore hahahaha not so much that old girl didn't like it one bit

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »
What a horrible first day....80 degrees :o....saw 4 mallards all day then 20 min after shooting hrs we literally counted 48 flying directly over us...unbelievable.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal