Hunting by Game/Technique > Predator Calling

Yote den

(1/1)

grousemaster789:
In my small gameing on stateland I was lucky enough to stumble upon a very active coyote den. Lots of nice fresh tracks, fresh crap, and their big hole dug out. Would this be a good place to hunt for them? What would my sucess rate be roughly? and should I take advantage of this find?

bigbuck9292:
bomb it

vivlamored:
 trebel hooks and hamburg

gump:
I found the same thing during late deer season.  I actually hope to set up down wind from it and hope to photograph the buggers going to and from.  I think they are a beautiful and elusive animal that gets a bad rap.  I rather see some yotes thinning out the herd rather than having deer whacked by automobiles.  Everything on this earth has a purpose....

That being said I do actually want to harvest one.   I hope to take one through calling and tan the hide for my cabin.  I agree that their populations should be controlled by harvesting through hunting.  I am just against merciless killing of animals being used as scapegoats for ignorant hunters.  Fact of the matter is that hunters have way more impact on deer populations than coyotes do.  If anyone is witnessing a decline in their deer population, they should first look at how many deer they are harvesting each year or how many permits their state is handing out for that area.  I guarantee that if there is a legitimate and/or significant deer decline in their area, it is from overharvesting by hunters and not a few 'yotes.  We must take responsibility for our actions to preserve these resources.

Sorry I got off topic.  Just have a minority view of coyotes.
My $.02 .

grousemaster789:

--- Quote from: gump on Dec 25, 2007, 09:34:49 AM ---I found the same thing during late deer season.  I actually hope to set up down wind from it and hope to photograph the buggers going to and from.  I think they are a beautiful and elusive animal that gets a bad rap.  I rather see some yotes thinning out the herd rather than having deer whacked by automobiles.  Everything on this earth has a purpose....

That being said I do actually want to harvest one.   I hope to take one through calling and tan the hide for my cabin.  I agree that their populations should be controlled by harvesting through hunting.  I am just against merciless killing of animals being used as scapegoats for ignorant hunters.  Fact of the matter is that hunters have way more impact on deer populations than coyotes do.  If anyone is witnessing a decline in their deer population, they should first look at how many deer they are harvesting each year or how many permits their state is handing out for that area.  I guarantee that if there is a legitimate and/or significant deer decline in their area, it is from overharvesting by hunters and not a few 'yotes.  We must take responsibility for our actions to preserve these resources.

Sorry I got off topic.  Just have a minority view of coyotes.
My $.02 .

--- End quote ---

fully agree with you on the harvesting thing. I always wanted to call one in, and I think the fur would be sweet. I also want to do my part to control yote numbers. I just hate killing without using an animal or attempting to. I just came across the den and kind of figured it was a perfect oppurtunity. I still dont know what ill do. I might try callling one out in two weeks to test my skills. I dont think im going to shoot just yet

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version