Author Topic: "Stimulation" Collar for Dogs  (Read 2519 times)

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
"Stimulation" Collar for Dogs
« on: Aug 08, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »
Hey Guys. Just wondering what people's thoughts were on using a shock collar for training a dog. I don't mean for hunting or anything, just for general training. My dog is a little over 10 months old now and he listens to me most of the time, but rarely does he listen to my girlfriend. Also, if someone drives in the driveway he will sprint over to them to great them no matter how loud I yell to him not to. He is harmless but he looks a lot like a pit so people get a little on edge.

Luke
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2012, 07:09:25 AM by lewk24 »

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Re: Shock Collar for Dogs
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2012, 09:28:28 AM »
Buddy has one for his black and tan coon hound and he said he zapped her once for going in the road, and now all he has to do is use the page or vibrate when he needs to and she comes runnin. 
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 08, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Oh wow that sounds awesome. Do you know what kind it was and/or where he got it?

Luke

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 08, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
Not sure he borrowed it from a friend who belongs to a dog club all i do know is he said it was expensive.
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »
Yeah I figured the were...thanks.

Luke

Offline bauls25

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2012, 12:44:12 PM »
Its a dogtra. Not sure on spelling.

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »
I have a friend with Akitas and his dogs will listen to him but not his wife but as soon as she puts the shock collar on them they listen to her perfectly. I think they have only had to zap them once or twice before they caught on and now the minute that collar goes on they are really well behaved for her.

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2012, 01:58:53 PM »
Awesome. My only worry is when we go to the lake he would jump in with it on. I am assuming they are not water proof?

Luke

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »
pretty sure they make some waterproof ones for waterfowl dogs, I am in the market as well
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2012, 03:43:54 PM »
Awesome. My only worry is when we go to the lake he would jump in with it on. I am assuming they are not water proof?

Luke

The one my grandfather has does work in the water but the effect doesnt seem like it normally is. He normally only uses the tone now. His dog is completely different when the collar is on.

Offline Stinginglips

• 6 Pointer
  • I love a nice rack
« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2012, 06:29:19 PM »
they work awesome, my shepard used to like chasing everything and anything that moved deep into the woods, got a shock collar and she stopped doing it. havent shocked her in probably 8 or 9 years but the remote being pointed at her still scares her and makes her listen to every command.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2012, 10:39:25 PM »
I have a sportdog for my hunting lab. Works great. And is waterproof. They are an amazing tool when it comes to dog training. Doesn't take much before they pick up on it. You can teach your dog to do anything with one of these. E collar would be a more appropriate term to use since there is no longer a "shock" its referred to as "stimulation" its like a tingly vibration. Its just uncomfortable to the dog, it doesn't cause any harm or pain. I tested it on my hand before using it on the dog. Many people get upset when they hear "shock collar" because they think it causes harm to the dog. "Shock collars" were old school haha. Good luck to ya and I would definitely consider sport dog brand very reasonably priced. Let me know if ya need any tips on training  8)

Offline lewk24

• 10 Pointer
Re: "Stimulation" Collar for Dogs
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2012, 07:15:09 AM »
Good to know, thanks. I changed the name of the thread as well so no one gets upset...haha.

Yes any training tips would be great. He listens to me most of the time, but it would be nice if it was all the time.

Luke

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
Re: "Stimulation" Collar for Dogs
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2012, 11:07:50 AM »
I run a tritronics sport basic collar for our labs. works great. this collar allows you to use up to three collars on one remote. i went this route since i have three labs that were a little stubborn and liked to run away if given the chance. they only tried it once and the stimulant corrected that in a hurry. as for training tips, I picked up Richard Walters gun dog book and DVD and his system worked GREAT. there are alot of books out there that are great training aids.

The main thing i found important is to stay consistent with the training. we sometimes hunt with multiple dogs an we use the dogs name to send for a retrieve/release from command. we noticed that when calling to take our shots  we would yell "TAKE EM" or "GET EM" this seemed to usually confuse the dog and they would bust the birds. By sending the dog on their name you can call your shot however you want and dog or dogs wont bust. also of there is only one retrieve to make you wont have two dogs fighting over one bird.

even if i don't hunt plan on hunting with my next pup i will still train them the way i trained my others. makes them a much more obedient and calm pup. Hope this helps and good luck !!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal