The Camp Fire > Wild Game In The Kitchen/Campstove Cooking

Grinding sausage on my own

(1/7) > >>

Deposit:
O.K. so I was Wally World the other day and saw an el'cheep-O hand cranked grinder from Easton Outdoors. I went and got it along with a natural casing sausage kit from Easton as well. I figured I would try a cheep set up first to be sure this is something I want to continue doing before I jump all in. Easton has recommended directions for making the sausage but I a few questions.

1- I am planing on adding some pork to the venison, they recommend 30%. What is the concensus out there?

2- Do you mix your seasoning in with the meat before its ground or after? I am planning on trying to fill some of the casings and if you mix the seasoning after then you would have to regrind all of it to fill the casings. Is that how its done or is everything premixed before grinding?

3- If a pre-grinding is done do you grind the venison and pork separately and them mix them?

4- and lastly, most of my venison to grind is in pretty small chunks but I have to cut up the pork I plan to use, the smaller the better for ginding?

Thanks for any info.

huntny30:
I am about to experiment myself...I'll let you know...

bogmanjr:
I have a large electric grinder so It's able to chew up some big chunks,I would make both the same size if I were you. .25-40% seems like an average #. What does the seasoning say as far as when to add? I mix the pork and Venison before grinding. I usually grind once coarse and add seasonings and then regrind. No reason you cant add it before and do one grind. Sausage tends to be a little better if not ground as fine as burger would be IMO. Colder the meat is the easier it will be to grind too. I add ice to the Mix before grinding the final time usually. The casing stuffing is the fun part. Plan on an extra set of hands. I use a jerkey shooter for that step now. If I can help more just ask bud. I have done a bunch of this stuff.All experimental, and some the wrong way.... ;D ;D

stka:
We mix 50/50 with pork butt, both cubed in 1-1.5" pieces. Mix meat and seasoning together and grind once right into the casing. I try to keep my meat half frozen, so it's a little stiff but not solid. I ground one batch twice and didn't like it at all, sausage is much better with a large grind.

Deposit:
The Kit I bought has Bratwurst, beer and cheese, and Italian. The grinder came with the tubes for the casings. The only place I can clamp the grinder to , however, is my coffee table. My counter does not have enough of a lip and my table is an antique handed from the family.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version