Author Topic: archery turkey hunting question  (Read 6592 times)

Offline stickandstring1234

• 6 Pointer
archery turkey hunting question
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:05:50 AM »
Im a young hunter and archery is in my blood. I got a tent blind for christmas and i have a primo spot for it. but anyway... im thinking of gettin the new gobbler guiliateen{if thats how u spell it} but it cost a good amount but for a fix blade, other than the head or neck, what is the next best spot to shoot a turkey with bow?

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
Re: archery turkey hunting question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009, 11:03:23 AM »
right through the wing dircetly up from the leg.......never tried it myself....i gotta get a few more with the gun first  ::)

Offline stickandstring1234

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:30:15 PM »
thank u!  ;D

Offline Lowerfortyboy

• Fawn
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 06:44:32 PM »
That guiteen Spl won't work through the screen on your blind but if you can remove the screen it will work a better broadhead would be a rocket stricknine cuts a 2 inch hole and you put double rubber bands on them and they will go through the screen like it isn't there

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2009, 09:57:41 PM »
Here's a good pic on where to aim:

I like a large mechanical head, shot one with a Spitfire, now trying the Rocket Hammerhead.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline rjhulbert

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2009, 10:39:36 AM »
captainjj thanks for that pic of kill zone for the bow have seen them on tv but not all of them looking to take my first with the bow as well this year

Offline northwoodsaddict

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:42:38 AM »
I'm also hoping to bag my first gobbler with a bow this spring, I've shot several toms and jakes with my shotgun, but I think I'm up for the challenge. My only issue is that I don't have a pop-up blind like I see all the guys on tv using, anybody out there shot a turkey with a bow?
IceShanty=brookiebomber477

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »
That guiteen Spl won't work through the screen on your blind but if you can remove the screen it will work a better broadhead would be a rocket stricknine cuts a 2 inch hole and you put double rubber bands on them and they will go through the screen like it isn't there
And turkeys dont seem to be too concerned about "black holes" like deer are.
If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline devilbear

• Spiked
  • That sweet sound of a wingbone call in the moring
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2009, 04:25:50 PM »
Im a young hunter and archery is in my blood. I got a tent blind for christmas and i have a primo spot for it. but anyway... im thinking of gettin the new gobbler guiliateen{if thats how u spell it} but it cost a good amount but for a fix blade, other than the head or neck, what is the next best spot to shoot a turkey with bow?
Head, neck ,wing above top of leg..... ;D
Yelp,Cut, Gobble Gobble, BANG

Offline Adam Bomb

• Forked
  • In Pursuit
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2009, 11:28:28 PM »
If you go with the Gobbler Guillotine, DO NOT shoot for the body as you will not get any penetration. That head is designed strictly for close in work and HEAD and NECK shots. A better head for shooting a turkey would be a 2 or 3 blade rage or the grim reaper as they are expandables. Because vitals sit a bit back and slightly lower on turkeys you can often times get the hips and vitals by shooting an expandable head. Shot placement will depend on angle, but on a broadside bird put your arrow just above the bronze colored patch on the wing(Should be directly above the legs and above the bronze wing patch). 1/4 away, where the point of the bronze wing patch hits the center of the back. A stutting bird head on can be taken as well if you put your arrow just above the base of the beard....Great diagram CAPTJJ.

Good luck, arrowing gobblers is fun.
Ya gotta kill em before ya can grill em!
Adam

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #10 on: Apr 07, 2009, 01:10:13 AM »
I just borrowed it. ;)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

upstatehunter

« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2009, 05:08:24 AM »
I have taken two with a bow, hardest part is telling yourself to shoot low.
One tip some forget is a tree stand, they work for turkeys as well as deer. Anything to keep you from being spotted while drawing.
Good luck and shoot straight.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal