Author Topic: deer on the run  (Read 3713 times)

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
deer on the run
« on: Nov 17, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
lot of talk on how well the can is working this year  had 3 big doe come into a field tonight tried the can and sent the deer on a dead run to the woods.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Re: deer on the run
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2017, 06:26:28 PM »
Ive been hearing a lot of guys saying its working great. Never tried it. I did for whatever reason grunt in a Doe and fawn last week.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »
I’m not really sure on the doe bleat. The only deer I saw this season was when I was quiet using no game calls.When I used the bleat, grunt and pack rack had no visuals on deer. Did have something come in but only heard it run off assuming it winded me when it realized I was not a deer.I shot a 4 ptr yesterday that came within 15 ft of me when I was texting a friend. I was set up between some hemlocks with Tinks wicks which drew him in.

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2017, 02:08:52 PM »
Ive had a lot of luck in the past using tinks on scent drags. Scents are the only gimmick Ive ever had some success with. Drippers work but Ive only had does come into during the day time. All the pictures of bucks were at night
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:09:57 AM »
Never really had any luck with any of the gimmicks. Tried most of them as a kid but haven't for many years now. Best tools in my proverbial toolbox are patience  and knowledge of the area I hunt and the habits and tendencies of the  deer that live there......
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »
I think your spot on  slt I I don't have any luck with any of it

Offline pikehater

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2017, 06:47:13 AM »
I've carried a bleat can for years and used it only when bored and desperate. Never any success.  This year I was in my stand and saw a deer quartering away from me through some thick birch trees. For fun I hit that bleat twice. Small buck circled back within seconds. Season over.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
Calls are like anything, if you use it and it works you're a fan if you've tried it without success they're junk.
I wouldn't be without a grunt call in my pocket. I have gotten more than 1 buck because of the call. I used a FoxPro electronic call this year to get a buck but have used it multiple times with no luck. A lot of it is some people call to loud and to often. I have called 1 buck rattling with a bag, but most of the time nothing. If you're in the right spot with the right conditions they work, they wouldn't be selling so many if they didn't.

Offline windwalker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2017, 10:55:57 PM »
Grunted in a buck once across three hundred and fifty yards across a field , brought him within feet of where i was hiding ....he was itching for a fight ! Best result i have had is with what some call a native deer call , it's about three inchs long , ( Make my own now ) , two pieces of wood with the center curved out to allow for the rubber band that goes through the area to vibrate , then a another rubber band to hold the two together ...have called in more deer with this then any commercial deer call , even called in some mule deer does years ago with it .Cheap , used Birch or any hard wood to make the pieces , onlt about half a inch thick by half a inch wide by three inchs long , fits right into the mouth so you can walk and bleat at the same time , the tension of the rubber band can be tightened or loosened to tune the sound from a fawn to a more deeper doe call .............works for me

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
Grunted in a buck once across three hundred and fifty yards across a field , brought him within feet of where i was hiding ....he was itching for a fight ! Best result i have had is with what some call a native deer call , it's about three inchs long , ( Make my own now ) , two pieces of wood with the center curved out to allow for the rubber band that goes through the area to vibrate , then a another rubber band to hold the two together ...have called in more deer with this then any commercial deer call , even called in some mule deer does years ago with it .Cheap , used Birch or any hard wood to make the pieces , onlt about half a inch thick by half a inch wide by three inchs long , fits right into the mouth so you can walk and bleat at the same time , the tension of the rubber band can be tightened or loosened to tune the sound from a fawn to a more deeper doe call .............works for me
   maybe you could put another thread out with instructions / pictures on howto make this call i like making my own stuff , especially outdoor gear

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:54:44 AM »
Windwalker I have a Dennis Kirk game call bleat/predator call that I have been using for 40something years.  Change the rubber band and good to go.. Mines plastic  and works great on deer and coyotes....

And I have also used a grunt call many times to get a buck in range..

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2017, 07:56:13 AM by Raquettedacker »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline sharpshooter

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 01, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »
I tried to make several years ago  it didn't come out the way it should have

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal