Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 3509 times)

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
Vacation
« on: Nov 19, 2021, 05:25:30 PM »
Day one!
 Up and at em at 4:00 and settled into stand about 6:00. Nothing but Turkey's today.  Hens and some long beards. They should keep the season open until the end of November instead of October. That way you could put one on the table for Thanksgiving. Not many acorns this year, so will probably catch one passing through to bed down as opposed to feeding. Have had a couple bed down 100 yards out in front of me the last week of Oct. And first week of Nov. I have taken as many as 7 deer from this spot over the years, so here is to consistency! Patience is key and I sit all day, every day.
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »
Good luck. Go get em.
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2021, 05:36:41 AM »
Hit em hard!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2021, 07:38:08 AM »
Good luck !

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2021, 05:39:39 PM »
Good luck just got back from Ashland area seem to be plenty around there got mine Thursday

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2021, 06:22:44 AM »
Day two,
In my stand just before 6:00am. Nice sunrise and cool Temps. Had alot of hope for the day, but once again came up short. Not alot of gunfire within ear shot today and with it being as cool as it is, surprises me. Sounding like a damp morning on Monday, but I'll be out after them just the same. Lots of squirrels on the hill that provide some entertainment while hanging out.

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2021, 08:51:58 AM »
Good luck man!

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2021, 05:12:19 AM »
Good luck to you!
These colder temperatures should get them moving now.
I have only seen one deer from my tree stand so far. Last year by now 12 but still getting after them. I plan on hunting black powder if I have to.

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2021, 07:21:34 PM »
Days 3,4,5,6,7 and 8. More of the same..up at 4:00am, make a thermos of coffee + a cup to have while getting my pack together again. Extra cothing for the long sit and some lunch and some Jolly Ranchers cause they go the distance. I love tootsie pops but can't get past 4 lick's! Been a strange year and questioning the decision to let the 3 pointer walk on opening day and the doe on week 2. But hell, I was going to get to hunt 8 Days. No problem! So it goes, up at 4 and at the stand at 5:45am sit and watch wood rats run around hiding nuts from one another and themselves. Mice bouncing in and out of holes of logs. See a small fox slip by just before daylight and got to watch Turkey's come off their roost every morning as they seem to like this ridge. Between them and the wind this week , I think I still hear leaves russeling in my head! I was so sick of them Turkey's by end of the day Thursday , I took Turkey sandwiches out for lunch on Friday and showed them all. Laughing!! I told my Nephew, I didn't know why they close the season at the end of October? No one gets to put a fresh one on the table for Thanksgiving.
 At the end of the day Friday, I had decided to sit in a different spot on the last day having seen no traffic through this spot for several days in a row. I decided to go to the corner of a ridge I had taken a 7 pointer off 4 years ago. I guess it was 8:30am, I stood up to take a leak in my jug ( I never piss on the ground while on stand) and looked behind me only to seen 2 other hunters headed away. Looking like they came onto me so turned around. I am thinking I'm screwed from any deer coming from their direction at this point. The wind was crazy here and it was cold. I opted to let those guys Clear the area, then I'd loop around the top of this ridge down in the saddle, then along the wet run and up the ridge back by my original stand location up over the mountain and back to this spot where I'll stash my pack because there is no way I'm carrying that thing that far full of all the extra clothing I have on. So I strip down, fill my pack with my extra clothes and hide my pack up against a log and cover with leaves. I took 10 steps looking down off the ledges to see if anything was bedded along the stone walk as they seem to frequent.  I stopped and looked left towards where those other hunters had been and 45' away there was this Doe standing there with the ears out and Oh F*** look on her face! Needless to say, 1 tag filled. 1/4 mile drag done and went back in for another. Managed to see 1 more big body deer in the afternoon but no shot at such a far distance at a moving target in an Oak grove.

She was bedded down the whole time I was there. No tracks from her. Just her bed in the snow from where she was from earlier in the morning prior to 5:45am. She only moved because I did. If I hadn't decided to go, I probably wouldn't have seen her even though she was really only 45 yards away.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2021, 07:25:01 PM by The 3Ps »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:18:23 AM »
Great post! Congratulations!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2021, 05:01:24 AM »
Very nice..👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
Congrats!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2021, 09:43:31 AM »
Congrats they are sneaky little bastards!!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »
Way to go   :)

Offline Darby

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:55:06 AM »
Great post, and congratulations.  Not doing muzzleload this year (1 doe and 1/3 of a moose in freezer) but ice fishing right around the corner.  Be safe on the ice  everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal