Author Topic: GREAT Bow Shop in ALbany Area ... new bow  (Read 7035 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: GREAT Bow Shop in ALbany Area ... new bow
« Reply #30 on: Aug 28, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
What town is he in?

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Aug 28, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
Two seasons ago my buddy brought his bow to havoc for a new string, sight, and arrows. It was a wed when we brought the bow to the shop and the guy said the bow would be ready on monday. Well we go in to get it monday evening and its not done. No biggie. Then on tuesday when he calls and hears tomorrow. Ok so we go in and pick it up on wed and when we get there the place is packed. My buddy asks if he can shoot it before he leaves and the guy rolls his eyes and sais man were pretty busy right now. Not to go to much further on my buddy because i still have my experience when he finally shoots it he draws and arrow falls off.....too short. So then last year i want new peep arrows etc. The guy at havoc takes 2 days longer then he said again and when i draw the bow back the peep turns and i cant see. On the first draw. So i tell him and he sais just twist the peep to compinsate before you draw. I said are you ******* kidding me fix it or im not paying a dime. Left with my arrows and my peep that still isnt right`. Now i have heard of a number of peoplle who love that place wich me leads me to believe that i come in and im young and dont know everything there is to know about bows so they dont take as good of care tofo me as theyh would some of you guys out there who know a little more then i do.
Yea I don't know how it was 2 seasons ago but the guys there now have always been really good to me. As far as the peep goes, if it is a meta peep that doesn't have that surgical tubing attached it has to be broken into the string by shooting. My peep was twisted too when I first got it put in. You just have to straighten it evey time before you shoot and after about 50-100 shots the string will break and peep will break in and the peep will be right where you want it every time without having to manually adjust it.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Aug 28, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »
What town is he in?

I think it is the town of Charleston .....  just outside of Esperance if you go out route 20 or else south of Johnstown .... he is right on Rt 30A.

Offline ship of fools

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Jul 31, 2013, 08:37:26 AM »
I think it is the town of Charleston .....  just outside of Esperance if you go out route 20 or else south of Johnstown .... he is right on Rt 30A.

JUST A QUICK FOLLOW UP ...... THIS GUY IS HORRIBLE

I LEFT MY OLD BOW FOR HIM TO TUNE UP AND HE SOLD IT ON ME!! ......   SINCE HE HADN'T HEARD FROM ME EVEN THOUGH I LEFT SEVERAL MESSAGES

STAY AWAY  ...  FAR FAR AWAY  :o

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #34 on: Jul 31, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
I took my bowhunter's safety course this weekend at Bowhunter's Plus in Amsterdam, NY. Staff is friendly, instructor was knowledgeable. Plus, they teach the course on the upstairs range, so you're not packed in there like sardines like during most safety courses, all elbow-to-elbow. The owner also bought pizza for lunch for everybody, which I thought was nice. I thought we would get the opportunity at least to shoot a compound bow under instruction, like we shot .22's during the regular hunter safety course, but we didn't. (I've never fired a bow before, only in the virtual game, "the Hunter," but never in real life. ;) I went downstairs, and looked at a couple of bows and YOWWW. I realized the hobby is expensive, but certainly one I can't afford right now. I'm sure its the same everywhere else though. Pro-shops are a bit more pricey, but im sure to have a proper equipment when I throw down the money at some point.

North any of our pastimes are only as expensive as we want them to be. When I first tried bow hunting in the late 80's I bought a used bow from a guy I worked with for $75. Took it to a shop to have it inspected, string changed, and set up for me for another $25. That bow killed a lot of deer over the years. I took that same bow to a sportsman's day and took the pot 9 times out of 12 from a friendly shoot of hitting closest to the green dot on a moving deer decoy against a group of bows that the shine and bling would blind you. So do not think you have to spend $600 to a $1000 to get started in this sport. Sure if you are a guy who has to have the newest every year, yep it is a pricey hobby.

But bow hunting is about so much more than the bling. to be able to acquire the skills to choose the best set up, put yourself so close to a deer you can smell it, share that intense moment with the animal, and that time of the year outdoors is just magical. That's what bow hunting is really about, at least for me. Now the bling is a lot of fun! I love my tin boat with the 50hp, but my $40,000 bass boat with the 200hp motor is just plain giddy.

So get what you can afford and enjoy the sport for the special things it presents. Then upgrade latter when you can, just don't let price keep you away from the best part of the season. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal