Author Topic: cleaning my gun  (Read 1490 times)

Offline chuckrudy

• 10 Pointer
cleaning my gun
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
How does everyone clean their muzzleloader?  I have a Thompson encore and after I clean the barrel it is hard for me to load the gun.  Iam wondering how you all clean your muzzleloader.
no information

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
Re: cleaning my gun
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:29:14 PM »
If I am going to be using it again soon, I run a patch with a light coating of bore butter on it though the barrel. If it is going to be put away for some time, then I use more bore butter and wipe it out before next use...hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2014, 01:54:46 PM »
Doug. Is it over? ..?.
L

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
This is what I use on CVA optima musket. I unscrew the breach plug. Run a patch soaked with bore cleaner down the barrel. Then I use the bore butter. I put the anti seize lubricant on the threads of the plug and screw back in.

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:21:14 PM »
I hate cleaning muzzleloaders, period.

Makes me wonder how much a pain in the butt it was during the 18th century colonial frontiersmen and soldiers.

Offline Otto

• 6 Pointer
  • Something is always in season!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:24:39 PM »
The instructions for my TC say to use hot soapy water to clean the barrel.  Then you put the bore butter on a patch and run it through the barrel.  I use the anti seize  on the breech plug.  I put some bore butter on each bullet before pushing it down it makes it a lot easier to load.  I'm pretty sure the instructions are online for reference. 
Boom, Done!

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:34:04 PM »
The instructions for my TC say to use hot soapy water to clean the barrel.  Then you put the bore butter on a patch and run it through the barrel.  I use the anti seize  on the breech plug.  I put some bore butter on each bullet before pushing it down it makes it a lot easier to load.  I'm pretty sure the instructions are online for reference.
I do the same,very hot water and it dry's fast,
Don't forget to clean your rifles also...
hb

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 07:51:34 PM »
hot soapy water works fantastic.......and as stated from joe - it dries real fast.....

Offline thompson

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
Boiling water down the barrel then bore butter

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »
Start shooting BH209. Half dozen western powder patches down the barrel and a dry patch followed by a hopes patch and done.

Btw, tv being hard to load is pretty normal. Tv is known for having very tight barrels and any projectile with a plastic sabot can make it much worse for repeat shots with that melted plastic film on the lands.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal