Author Topic: So how's everyone doing for the 2006 season?  (Read 25973 times)

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
Re: So how's everyone doing for the 2006 season?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 19, 2006, 07:53:47 AM »
Chances are she didn't last over night with the number of coyotes around.  Unfortunately it is something that the majority of hunters have to go through.

Offline Tom Leitz

• Forked
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2006, 03:16:56 PM »
Hunted Hamilton County.  Got a spike with the muzzleloader early Saturday.  Stalked right up within 15 yards of him.  There was a strong wind in my face and he was facing directly away.  As soon as he turned broadside I let him have it.  That 3 mile drag did me in.

My pop came to the cabin on Monday and scored Tuesday afternoon.

This year was easy - lots of deer in those woods.  The butcher said he has processed more than normal.

Offline Dude

• Nubbie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 19, 2006, 06:43:48 PM »
I've only been out twice bowhunting,I saw over 20 does and fawns the 1st evening.We need to do some doe management bad.
I went out yesterday after work and saw 3 does.Hopefully I'll get out again on Sunday.

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2006, 08:25:14 AM »
We need to do some doe management bad.

What are you waiting for?  Let her have it!

Offline bighillbilly

• Nubbie
    • gear and techniques for the beginning bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2006, 10:40:27 AM »
I was out last Saturday and Sunday in Northern Cattaraugus County - very windy both days.  Had a handful of does very close both times out but couldn't get the shot I needed and was winded once and picked off against the edge of a field another time.  Smart deer look up I guess.  Hope to give it a shot on Saturday morning.  Very encouraged by the increase in the number of deer I have seen already pre-season scouting and now hunting.  Much better than last year.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
I was out last Saturday and Sunday in Northern Cattaraugus County - very windy both days.  Had a handful of does very close both times out but couldn't get the shot I needed and was winded once and picked off against the edge of a field another time.  Smart deer look up I guess.  Hope to give it a shot on Saturday morning.  Very encouraged by the increase in the number of deer I have seen already pre-season scouting and now hunting.  Much better than last year.

ill be out there this weekend in catt. county looking for some venison, cant seem to find anywhere around amherst to hunt :-\ so ill have to go back down south where imfrom to get one of them deer ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:12:07 AM »
Saturday I got to my ladder stand and when I went to climb up the ladder it fell apart. The high winds and rocking motion caused the ladder to come apart. I had to run 7 hundred yards up hill to our next stand and when I got there it my brother had forgoten to put a saftey belt and a rope for that stand. So I had to run another 5 hundred yards to a 3rd stand. all of this just as it is getting light.  I saw 1 buck in the morning from that stand. I went back in the afternoon and fixed my stand. I saw 3 doe all this while archery hunting. None within range. Sunday I sighted in my new savage .270 and then hunted archery in the afternoon. I saw 9 deer total 1 buck, 7 doe and one unidentifiable. Also had many grouse around my stand and thousands of geese flying over head.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »
heck, i went out saturday and had a nice little 6 point jump my arrow at 30 yards, i drew back on a doe, but then noticed a buck behind her, i never seen the points, just that it was a buck, he never came into range, so blew the 20 yard shot on the doe  then got a nice jump start to my heart walking up a old grown over logging road and coming face to face, well 30 yards apart with a nice 300# black bear, eye to eye for an hour, well ok, about 30 seconds, but it seemed an hour, he never took his eyes off me so i couldnt draw on him, then he just ran off, thankfully in the other way, i almost had a load in my pants. i would to have loved to have his hide as a wall rug. i seen about 3 other deer, all does and no shot and 2 coyotes and guy coming out of the woods with a nice turkey, no record but a nice 8" beard and 3/4"-1" spurs, probably 16#-18# and when i was leaving i seen a guy driving out with a great 8 pointer on his roof.

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:36:19 AM »
heck, i went out saturday and had a nice little 6 point jump my arrow at 30 yards, i drew back on a doe, but then noticed a buck behind her, i never seen the points, just that it was a buck, he never came into range, so blew the 20 yard shot on the doe  then got a nice jump start to my heart walking up a old grown over logging road and coming face to face, well 30 yards apart with a nice 300# black bear, eye to eye for an hour, well ok, about 30 seconds, but it seemed an hour, he never took his eyes off me so i couldnt draw on him, then he just ran off, thankfully in the other way, i almost had a load in my pants. i would to have loved to have his hide as a wall rug. i seen about 3 other deer, all does and no shot and 2 coyotes and guy coming out of the woods with a nice turkey, no record but a nice 8" beard and 3/4"-1" spurs, probably 16#-18# and when i was leaving i seen a guy driving out with a great 8 pointer on his roof.

now THAT'S an awesome day in the woods arch.

wind around here was brutal saturday, so I didn't even go out.....around 6:15 that evening we watched an 8 pt. in the field across the street from my house.  The rut is starting up around here, and THIS saturday.......we hunt with guns.... ;D 
~Scott~

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Oct 23, 2006, 10:48:48 AM »
it was great here in WNY, upper 40's low 50's, partly sunny, no wind to speak of, and a very wet ground from all the rain the few days before, if it was in the low 30's with a  light snow on the ground it would have been perfect.

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #25 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:12:49 AM »
  if it was in the low 30's with a  light snow on the ground it would have been perfect.

long range forecast is calling for exactly that friday night around here. all we can do is hope    ::)
~Scott~

Offline bighillbilly

• Nubbie
    • gear and techniques for the beginning bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:17:12 AM »
Arch - I hear ya about driving "back home" to hunt.  Kenmore doesn't provide many opportunities either.
I got out Saturday morning - no electric in kenmore did have its advantages for a week as I was 5 minutes from my hunting property while staying with my parents.  Sat for 3 hours after sunrise and saw one squirrel moving.  As an aside - I did see many deer - in the headlights as I drove to hunting.  Seems I never have a good morning when I see them in the road on my way there.  I'm guessing they bed as soon as it starts to get light?  Anyone slse have other observations. 

Arch - you may want to take a drive to Grand Island and check with some landowners out there.  Also head toward Clarence and start looking around.  Limited, but available opportunities in both areas without the 1.5 hour drive.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
long range forecast is calling for exactly that friday night around here. all we can do is hope    ::)

good luck to you, they are calling for snow thursday-sunday nights, but the days are going to be upper 30's lower 40's, but it wont be long until the cold stays ;D

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2006, 11:20:22 AM »
yeah, my landlord lives in clarence and is checking with his friend to see if i can bowhunt their, but he has a select few that shotgun, but they dont see a problem with me bowhunting, just waiting for the ok, that would be nice, just a 5-10 minute drive instead of 1-1 1/2 hour drive to the southern tier :-\

Offline pikeon

• Nubbie
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2006, 12:14:16 PM »
Hunted all day on Saturday. The woods were very quiet with all the rain. had 3 bucks pass behind my stand at 7:45. They were all traveling together on thier way to a bedding area. i saw more grouse on saturday than all hunts combined. Is it mating time for them? They were drumming and making noise thru out the day. Hunted the morning until 10:30 then went and hung another stand. Returned to my stand for the afternoon. does started to leave the bedding area at 5:30. Had 3 come within 20 yards. They busted me right away. I'm hunting out of a 15' ladder stand I picked up at gander. I don't think I'm up high enough for this location. had a 6 pt walk behind the does about 10 minutes later. I missed him at 15 yards. Shot under him. Pissed off doesn't begin to describe how i felt.  sat for another 15 minutes and had another doe follow out of the same area. She was alert from the beginning and didn"t stick around long. I hope I didn't ruin this spot but will not hunt it for a couple weeks. I will have to switch stands for sure. I think I need a little more elevation. How high do you guys hunt?15? 20? or more. Over all it was a great day to be in the woods.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal