Author Topic: So how's everyone doing for the 2006 season?  (Read 26020 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
So how's everyone doing for the 2006 season?
« on: Oct 16, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »
I went out muzzleloading this weekend. I missed a spike horn in the rain in the morning on saturday but did get a button buck while it was hailing marble size hail on saturday afternoon. It was some wild weather. I saw more hunters in the woods, farther back in the woods, than I've ever seen before. It was nuts! The most incredible thing was my brother and I were the only ones wearing blaze orange.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
Re: So how's everyone doing for the 2006 season?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:11:56 AM »
Well, I was only able to hunt on Saturday, but it was a great day to be out.  Surprisingly, there weren't many hunters where I was.  In the morning, I had my sights on a doe...I was waiting for her to come out from behind a blowdown, but she never showed.  Five minutes later....KA-POW!!!  A shot came from down the hill...after another 45 minutes, here comes another hunter, dragging her up.  I between when I saw her and when he shot, another skippy ran down the same trail.  In the afternoon, I went back to the same area, but hunted a little more east of where I had been that morning.  It was really windy, and there was a cold rain for a little while.  I was watching two trails, one on top of a little shelf, and the other along the edge of a swampy creek...I looked straight ahead of me and theres a spike, staring at me from 20 yards away. Doh!  Picked off!  It was so windy I never heard him come in...and he didn't even follow a path, he came right through the briars.  So no deer for me opening day...but my 10:00 class just got cancelled, so I'm done for the day.  The south wind is perfect for where I was last time, so I'm headed back. Hopefully there'll be something to report for later!

-Zach

Oh yeah...congrats on the deer Roy, it'll definitely be some good eating!  :)
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2006, 09:17:15 AM by ChenDeerSlayer »

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:36:00 AM »
I hit the state land on Saturday.  I haven't been to this spot in four years, so I walked in about a hundred yards down from where I wanted to be.  I sat for an hour and moved further in.  Found another spot and sat for another hour.  I decided to head to where I wanted to be and busted a group of deer as I popped over a ridge.  I grunted and they stopped just out of view.  I found cover and waited to see if they would come back through, and sure enough about fifteen minutes later they came straight at me.  I took the lead spike at about twenty five yards.  As soon as the smoke cleared I could see his twin standing there looking at me.  I never did see what the other two deer were.  I took everyone's advice and went farther into the state land than I normally go, but that was one brutal drag back to the truck!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2006, 10:06:29 AM »
Congrats on the deer otis. Zach good luck up north. You're lucky your class got canceled. Dwayne I wish I had the time to go out archery this afternoon but I have to go pick up my new .270. ;D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2006, 11:36:36 AM »
Thanks.  It's my first deer in four years.  Eventhough he's only a spike, it's nice to have meat in the freezer!

Good lick Zach, let us know how you do.

AdkRoy, picking up a new gun is almost as fun as using it!  Enjoy!!!

Offline Blindsquirrel

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2006, 09:11:56 PM »
I was invited to my uncle's Adirondack hunting camp for the muzzleloader opener.  Long story short, got a large bodied spike on Saturday.  I am the first guest to shoot a buck in the 15 years the club has been operating.  ;)
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2006, 06:27:25 AM »
congratulations blindsquirrel. :D

Offline Mentiply

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2006, 09:12:36 AM »
Congrats to both of you.

Offline big j 2520

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2006, 11:29:51 AM »
I went out sunday afternoon. I saw 17 does. Let them all pass. No bucks yet ;)
Which way did he go !!!!!

Offline hunters08

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2006, 05:38:05 PM »
I have seen 5 doe and a basket rack 8 so far, i'll wait a little while longer before i shoot a doe.It feels really good to be back in the  tree stand with bow in hand. Good luck to everyone. Keep posting your results

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 18, 2006, 09:04:20 AM »
Well, Monday was an up and down day in the woods.  :-\ I got in the woods right at 12:00, and was settled in my spot at about 12:30.  Right around 1:00, a big doe came up about 30 yards behind me.  I slowly turned, and was forced to stand up.  I put the sights on the vitals and squeezed the trigger...BANG!  A cloud of smoke clears, and shes running away.  I knew she was going down...I mean, there was no way I could mess up that shot, right?  I go over and find a tiny bit of blood right away...uh oh, it's dark.  :-\ Then I find where she had opened up and sprayed blood quite a bit.  Mixed with the blood there were little green chunks.  Oh man, this really sucks now.  Now the blood is only a drop here and a drop there...pin head sized drops.  Finally, it just ran out.  I searched all afternoon, and didn't find her.  On my way out, I checked the area where she had been, and discovered that my bullet that deflected off a branch, causing it to hit her in the guts.  I really never saw it, and I blame tunnel vision... ::) It really sucks to shoot a deer like that...I've never hit one in the guts before. I went back Tuesday, and checked all over...but nothing.  I guess I'll go back out today, and hopefully I'll be able to make up for it.

-Zach

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2006, 10:05:09 AM »
Well, Monday was an up and down day in the woods.  :-\ I got in the woods right at 12:00, and was settled in my spot at about 12:30.  Right around 1:00, a big doe came up about 30 yards behind me.  I slowly turned, and was forced to stand up.  I put the sights on the vitals and squeezed the trigger...BANG!  A cloud of smoke clears, and shes running away.  I knew she was going down...I mean, there was no way I could mess up that shot, right?  I go over and find a tiny bit of blood right away...uh oh, it's dark.  :-\ Then I find where she had opened up and sprayed blood quite a bit.  Mixed with the blood there were little green chunks.  Oh man, this really sucks now.  Now the blood is only a drop here and a drop there...pin head sized drops.  Finally, it just ran out.  I searched all afternoon, and didn't find her.  On my way out, I checked the area where she had been, and discovered that my bullet that deflected off a branch, causing it to hit her in the guts.  I really never saw it, and I blame tunnel vision... ::) It really sucks to shoot a deer like that...I've never hit one in the guts before. I went back Tuesday, and checked all over...but nothing.  I guess I'll go back out today, and hopefully I'll be able to make up for it.

-Zach

Zach,
 Don't hesitate, call DEC right away and get the number of a deer tracker who uses dogs. We had a similar situation 5 years ago and that dog found the deer withing 15 minutes in an area we never would have thought to look. It is free but we gave the guy 20 dollars for gas.

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2006, 11:54:23 AM »
my first bow shot deer 3 years ago was a gut shot.  I looked for a day and could not find it. I felt horrible.  I have only shot one other since then.  I have not taken a few shots because I was scared to gut shoot again.  I suppose once i gain experience I will take some non perfect shots, but not now.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
Good advice dwayne, a gut shot deer will usually go to water also. If there are any ponds near by, you may want to search along the bank. And like dwayne said, it happens.

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  I know, it's just one of those things that goes along with hunting.  It was definitely a perfect shot opportunity: 30 yards away, quartering away.  I just didn't see that little branch.  Also, while I already knew it, good advice about looking near water.  I scoured the edges of the creek for probably close to 1/4 mile, but didn't find anything.  That was yesterday morning, from 6-11.  Roy, I wish I had posted earlier.  I just now got your message, but I'm afraid it's too late for the dogs.  After sitting since Monday, theres no way it's good anymore.  Oh well... :'( By the way, I didn't see anything this afternoon either.  I'll be back this weekend.

-Zach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal