Author Topic: Hawk vs Squirrel  (Read 1494 times)

Offline zadvorney

• Fawn
Hawk vs Squirrel
« on: Oct 21, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »
I wish I could have a recording of what I see in the woods.  Today I'm out with the bow and just sitting on a log watching a squirrel. All of a sudden it looks like the ground explodes and a hawk appears.  I took a millisecond for that hawk to divebomb out of the sky and be on the squirrel.  He sat there for a second then flew away with his prize.  Awsome! All this just 15 yards away.

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
Re: Hawk vs Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2012, 09:39:55 PM »
I had the same thing with a hawk and a chipmonk a few years back. Sitting in my climber watching a couple chipmonks and in comes this hawk like a lightening bolt. grabbed a chipmonk and perched on a branch and had lunch.Some people might think it's gross, i thought it was an amazing vision of nature.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:22:27 AM »
I've watched owls do that too.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:36:09 AM »
Welcome to the site zadvorney..   Must have been cool to see...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2012, 06:59:05 AM »
I've watched owls do that too.

Owls are awesome!  It's amazing how they appear out of nowhere, make no noise, and can fly as fast as they do though the forest.

Two years ago I was all camo sitting in my bow stand and had a young hawk come in on ME!  Scared the hell out of me!  It wouldn't give up, I kept waving my bow at it trying to bat it away.  After what seemed like forever, but was probably a minute, it flew about 30 yards off and watched me for half an hour.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2012, 09:22:20 PM »
Same thing happened to me few yrs ago. Only 3 feet away from me. I was hunting from the ground and the chipmunk was right next to me when the hawk came outta nowhere and smashed him. Little chipmunk managed to somehow get away and bolted right between my legs  :o. Also last yr saw a hawk come land in a tree and start barking like a squirrel wasn't 2 minutes and he had a squirrel barking back from a tree limb a little ways away. Unsuccessful hunt for him but never knew they called to squirrels to get them to come out lol

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal