Author Topic: Youth season  (Read 11884 times)

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Youth season
« on: Sep 17, 2012, 04:44:29 PM »
Heard through the grape vine this morning that the NYS youth gun season for Columbus day weekend WILL take place this October 2012

"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline Inwellb4light

• 6 Pointer
Re: Youth season
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2012, 05:03:33 PM »
"You can learn more about hunting deer with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life"  - Fred Bear

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2012, 06:01:58 PM »
I received this...

For Release: IMMEDIATE Contact: Lori Severino
Friday, September 14, 2012 518-402-8000
DEC ANNOUNCES DETAILS FOR COLUMBUS DAY WEEKEND YOUTH DEER HUNT
The Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has confirmed that junior hunters ages 14-15 will be able to hunt deer during a special youth firearms deer season over Columbus Day Weekend this year, October 6 through October 8, 2012.
“Implementation of this youth deer hunt is a hallmark moment for New York hunters and represents continued efforts of DEC to engage more young people in nature and outdoor recreation,” said DEC Commissioner Joe Martens.
The youth deer hunt will take place Columbus Day weekend in both the Northern Zone and Southern Zone; a youth hunt was not established on Long Island due to restrictions in the Environmental Conservation Law. Junior hunters (ages 14-15) with a big game hunting license will be eligible to take one deer of either sex with a firearm when properly accompanied by a licensed and experienced adult. Junior hunters may use a Deer Management Permit or Deer Management Assistance Program tag for an antlerless deer or, during the youth firearms season only, they may use their regular season tag to take a deer of either sex.
In areas restricted to bowhunting only (Westchester County and parts of Albany and Monroe counties), junior hunters may only use bowhunting equipment to take deer during the youth hunt weekend. “Bowhunting seasons remain open during the youth hunt, but I encourage bowhunters to set your bow aside for the weekend and be a mentor for a youth’s first firearms deer hunt,” Commissioner Martens stated.
While there is pending legislation that may impact future youth hunts, until it has been acted on, DEC’s regulations remain in effect. More details of the Youth Firearms Deer Hunt and rules for junior hunters and their mentors are available at www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/46245.html.
DEC also offers special opportunities for junior hunters (ages 12-15) for waterfowl, wild turkey, and pheasants. See www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/52495.html for information about these other programs.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:28:45 AM »
This youth hunt is bull crap!    Do you know how many woodchucks out there will shoot a deer and put their kid's tag on it.  These kids already can be out there bow hunting. If they want to get more kids out in the woods hunting, lower the hunting age. Lots of states have lower hunting ages than NY.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2012, 06:33:45 AM »
I agree Roy..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline monk

• 8 Pointer
  • I'd rather be outdoors
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:08:28 AM »
This youth hunt is bull crap!    Do you know how many woodchucks out there will shoot a deer and put their kid's tag on it.  These kids already can be out there bow hunting. If they want to get more kids out in the woods hunting, lower the hunting age. Lots of states have lower hunting ages than NY.

That is a concern of mine also. But what bothers me is when my son was ready for his first deer hunt, my wife and I placed his season, mentoring and his experience as a priority. And for us it wasn't really a sacrifice, we love hunting and dearly love our son. Now we all have to sacrifice because many parents who wouldn't. It also disrupts the natural deer movement, beauty and tranquility of the bow season.
 MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! God Bless America!
"Old age is like everything else. To make a success of it, you've got to start young."
Theodore Rooseve

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2012, 07:09:37 AM »
I hope a youth goes out there legit and kills your big buck. ;D ;D

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »
Overall I think it is a good plan. Yes, there will be those that will shoot one and put it on their kids tag. They will be training the next generation of bad hunters. I like to think that most DADS will do it all on the up and up. I still remember one of my Dads last hunts. My brother-in-law had shot a nice 8 pointer and while getting it out of the woods Dad said "I can think about hanging up the gun. You kids have all gotten a good buck." ....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
I'm just hoping nobody gets shot with all the leaves still on the trees and shrubs!

Offline THEOZON

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »
Whoever thought this one up is a MORON! PISS POOR IDEA!!

USE WHAT YA GOT TO GET WHAT YA NEED !

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
I agree 100% ADKRoy. I don't see it helping to recruit new hunters one bit, just make poaching easier and harder to prosecute. They have no way of monitoring the laws they already have. I would bet that less than half the deer shot during the youth hunt will be shot by youth hunters.

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »
I would hope that there are responsible Mom's and Dad's (grandparents,etc.)  that will make this a teachable moment. However--I will more than likely stay out of the woods on this date.  It's bad enough with some of the "adults" you find in the woods. I don't wish to be viewed as a camo-up deer in the brush!!! Just my 2 cents...Gunner

Offline DOORGUY

• Spiked
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:00:40 PM »
really can't figure out how they came up with the dates for this, unless they figure with the long Columbus day weekend more kids will have the opportunity to get out. Like most of you guys have said it is just plain foolish to put people in the woods with rifles or slugs this early. I could see if it was maybe the weekend before the regular opener but this is ridiculous.

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
Wow this is bull. A youth firearms hunt during the first weekend of bow season. A lot of us won't be able to get out unroll the 6th and now were going to have possible gun shy deer already.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2012, 03:55:51 PM »
I am angered by this...in my job I am usually present to stop or at least insert my 2 cents on a stupid decision that effects people...there are real jackwagons out there that put ZERO to NO common sense into making decisions and creating policy...if this season SUCKs following the week two shootem up fest with every responsible and irresponsible dad, uncle, brother, grandfather...out there one week into bow season...I'm really gonna consider moving somewhere else...I have kids, and they will be involved with the outdoors...but this SUCKS!!!!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal