Author Topic: Mountain Lion track???  (Read 7975 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Mountain Lion track???
« Reply #30 on: Mar 30, 2012, 10:19:33 AM »
The shape of the pad looks like a canine, not a cat; it is also longer than it is wide, meaning dog. Is it possible someone was walking a large dog on the trail?

« Last Edit: Mar 30, 2012, 10:21:06 AM by CAPTJJ »
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #31 on: Mar 30, 2012, 03:47:03 PM »
Only A few miles away from harrisburg. Shot my biggest buck on top of one of the mountains looking down on the lake. I have had people tell me and my father they have seen mountain lions in stony creek and over by garnet lake and crane mountain.
i grew up rite on crane mt.pretty sure i saw a lion when i was a kid,it was deff a big cat the tail was as long as the body and it was awful skiddish,i'v also heard 2 other people say they have seen lions on crane,and really not that far from your camp and harrisburg, the way a crow flies i wouldn't be surprised at all if there were a few cats hangin around
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #32 on: Mar 30, 2012, 05:43:35 PM »

Wasn't last year that a mt. lion went through this area & ended up in Conn. They found hair & tracks in the snow on Tuesdale Hill in LG & some droppings.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #33 on: Mar 30, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »
         Wasn't last year that a mt. lion went through this area & ended up in Conn. They found hair & tracks in the snow on Tuesdale Hill in LG & some droppings.

Yup....  There has to be some here some where....   I'm just saying that track looks doggish...  But I'm wrong a lot.... ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #34 on: Mar 30, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »
So a buddy of mine and I have a camp in the southern ADK's. We were going in to put some cams out to see how the deer are doing after the easy winter and some early scouting. now we were about 6 miles away from the nearest house or blacktop road going back in to were we hunt. Now its a dirt road that was a little soft in spots but not really muddy. We came across some tracks i didnt really recognize and took a quick pic. I wanted to do some research on the tracks before i started trying to figure out what it was. Now i know its not a bear, its close to a wolf but it isnt. I know DEC says there are no mountain lions in NY but i think its BS. So here it is, just wanted to share it and see what people thought. Hopefully some one from cougar country takes a look and give me there thoughts.

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #35 on: Mar 30, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »

Yep looks dogish to me too, but like you Raquette, I'm wrong a lot just ask my boys.haha

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #36 on: Mar 31, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
           I'm wrong a lot just ask my boys.haha

I'm still waiting for mine to come home one day and tell me how much I have learned........... ;D

I don't doubt that there are a few lions wandering around. I too was just saying that track is from a member of the Dog family. Great Dane,Wolf, Newfie, Coyoteasarus I don't know but it's not a cat track.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »
Looks like dog to me....big dog yes...
I learned a bunch this last week since Tyler moved out....Real life "is" hard he says....you were right!!!! Gosh dang it mark it on the calender.... 8) 8)

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #38 on: Mar 31, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »
I learned a bunch this last week since Tyler moved out....Real life "is" hard he says....you were right!!!! Gosh dang it mark it on the calender.... 8) 8)

OH your fixin to get a lot smarter now that he's on his own. ;)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #39 on: Mar 31, 2012, 08:10:18 AM »
  How you doing know that he is on his own

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
I'm fine....He knows we are here if needed, and has a pretty good foundation of values....He'll do fine. ;D ;D

Offline 30-30

• 30 Point Buck
  • Hunt America
« Reply #41 on: Mar 31, 2012, 09:11:39 AM »
I'm fine....He knows we are here if needed, and has a pretty good foundation of values....He'll do fine. ;D ;D
To him it's fine, he is on top of the world, he has his own place, he's his own man. It's a rite to life sort of thiing. I went through it 3 times.  Where did he move, to the big city, GF?
« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2012, 09:37:45 AM by 30-30 »

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
LOL...nope..down town NC...Only a mile away.....But he did call this morning to say hi....Daughter said hello on FB....They still keep in touch...guess we did OK...

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #43 on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »
LOL...nope..down town NC...Only a mile away.....But he did call this morning to say hi....Daughter said hello on FB....They still keep in touch...guess we did OK...
Sounds like you done great; I always look forward to when they come around, I still wish they were still small though; Some times  hehehe

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #44 on: Mar 31, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
They still keep in touch...guess we did OK...

Yep....  I would say so.......   Hope I do the same..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal