Author Topic: Northern Zone early season  (Read 1440 times)

Offline FreezinGator

• Forked
Northern Zone early season
« on: Aug 12, 2012, 08:28:31 AM »
I took my bow class this summer and am considering getting a last years bow tag and hunting the northern zone early (Sept) season ( I also have a muzzle tag from last year  :'() .  I live and hunt in the southern zone.  I am not looking for anyone's spot but just some advice for where to look for a decent bow spot to hunt in the southern part of the northern zone.  I am sure I will be salmon fishing before the 27th and could scout a bit on the way home from Pulaski.  I plan on picking up a climber before the season.  Any advice would be appreciated and if I get a deer on your farm / property I would gladly give you one of the backstraps  :).  Thanks - Eric
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: Northern Zone early season
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2012, 08:31:41 AM »

There is a ton of state land around that area , I hunt Lakeview Marsh a ton and always drag one out . Happy Valley is Hugemungus and has a good amount of Apples .... Not sure how they did this year but it's worth a lookie see . Klondike is another option , Deer Creek , all have deer .
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline major257

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
If you think you can put a good shot on a deer in those 4 days, buy a tag. In my opinion the leaves are usually on to heavy still and seeing them is difficult. It is only a few dollars so either way you decide go out and enjoy it.

Offline FreezinGator

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2012, 07:18:27 AM »
There is a ton of state land around that area , I hunt Lakeview Marsh a ton and always drag one out . Happy Valley is Hugemungus and has a good amount of Apples .... Not sure how they did this year but it's worth a lookie see . Klondike is another option , Deer Creek , all have deer .
Thanks Mookie - I looked at those spots/maps on the DEC website and they look good-I'll go check them out .  That would be awesome to get a few salmon and a deer in the same day  ;D ;D ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »
I would focus on an area that has apples or some sort of feed for them hopefully not near standing corn, that can be your enemy, they will stay in that corn all day... luckily most state land isnt near any corn, if you have time, scout a little before hand, if it is warm they will def be moving either real early or late, its a nice 4 days to hunt, I take it off every year...
Take a Kid outside...

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2012, 05:49:03 PM »
Thanks Mookie - I looked at those spots/maps on the DEC website and they look good-I'll go check them out .  That would be awesome to get a few salmon and a deer in the same day  ;D ;D ;D
No problemo , Scouting is key .... Lakeview is a wierd area .... the state leases out alot of it to farmers , who grow soy and corn , there is also alot of wild mass . The biggest factor tho is the literal miles and miles of goldenrod . I'd say close to 80%of it is all goldenrod fields with a split between hardwood high spots and willow flats around water . Once the pressure is on they become low light movers at best , a mid day sit in the hardwoods is a complete waste of time unless there is a group pushing near by .... dosen't happen often there tho compaired to southern zone areas . Good luck to you and I hope this helps alittle  ;)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal