Author Topic: Bunny hunt today!  (Read 7011 times)

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
Re: Bunny hunt today!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »

Great job ! I'm hopein to get out with Otis this weekend , love me  bunny stew  ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
Nice! What do you suggest as the best choke for the job? I had a arguement with a buddy today about this....... I like the IC better and he uses a mod. Any preference?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Nice! What do you suggest as the best choke for the job? I had a arguement with a buddy today about this....... I like the IC better and he uses a mod. Any preference?

"Do you really think it matter's, Eddie?"   ;D  Sorry...got NL Christmas Vacation quotes stuck in my head... :o

The stuff we were shooting through today was so thick most of the pattern got chewed up on brush before it could even get to the rabbit. The Winchester Model 12 16 gauge I was using has a full choke which wasn't excessive given the conditions. The shotshell load you choose probably has a bigger effect on performance than choke I'll bet...I was using high brass 6's for this spot.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2011, 05:27:16 PM »
I only use high brass 6's outta my 20 Ga. that's the way to go.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
"Do you really think it matter's, Eddie?"   ;D  Sorry...got NL Christmas Vacation quotes stuck in my head... :o

The stuff we were shooting through today was so thick most of the pattern got chewed up on brush before it could even get to the rabbit. The Winchester Model 12 16 gauge I was using has a full choke which wasn't excessive given the conditions. The shotshell load you choose probably has a bigger effect on performance than choke I'll bet...I was using high brass 6's for this spot.

I love to see your Model 12 16 gauge...my favorite gun is my Model 12 12 gauge my grandfather gave me...I posted somewhere recently I always wanted to get all the gauges in the Model 12...Love that gun...looks like your pump is a little different than mine but those guns are sweet...I shot my first buck with it...my biggest buck with it and many other things in between...I need to break it out again this winter...
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 06:09:24 PM by huntny30 »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »
I love to see your Model 12 16 gauge...my favorite gun is my Model 12 12 gauge my grandfather gave me...I posted somewhere recently I always wanted to get all the gauges in the Model 12...Love that gun...looks like your pump is a little different than mine but those guns are sweet...I shot my first buck with it...my biggest buck with it and many other things in between...I need to break it out again this winter...

That gun was given to me by my father's brother (my uncle George) and was the gun I took my first deer (a doe) with. That shotgun fits me like no other. Before the steel shot law went into effect I made some shots with that gun on ducks & geese that I still remember! My father has one in 20 gauge, nickel steel, I'll bet you could fill a tractor trailer with the game he has taken with that gun in the 65+ years he's used it. They are just a sweet shotgun!

Here's a couple pics I found showing that gun better...

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 06:34:35 PM by Hollywood »

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
Actually yours is Identical to mine...other than the gauge...very sweet...yeah that gun is priceless to me...
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 06:46:19 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:45:24 PM »
My first deer back quite a few years ago...with the Model 12 proudly displayed... :)

« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 06:48:51 PM by huntny30 »
John Wayne

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
That's great!  8)  2001?   ;)

This was from my second year in the deer woods, got the buck & a doe on opening day. I still don't think any buck has looked as big to me when I found it at the end of the trail than this one! I wish we had taken more pics back then...
« Last Edit: Dec 30, 2011, 06:57:39 PM by Hollywood »

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:00:34 PM »

Is that a web on the end of his antler .... cool pics guys  8)
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:06:31 PM »
Ha Ha...2001...I wish...oh about 11 years earlier than that...this one was my first buck...greatest hunt of my life...and the ole Model 12 did well...

John Wayne

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
I was so happy this is how I got him home...in my 1982 malibu trunk...Ha ha ha good times...simple times...my Gramp was so proud...

John Wayne

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
That's a great pic!
All my deer get a ride home in the trunk of my Ford Fusion (company car) though I crammed a couple in a Ford Taurus trunk years back then couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start. Turns out a hoof flipped the fuel kill switch those had in the trunk!

This pic is from the night my son got his first this year. He's holding my old H & R Ultra-slug 20 gauge which DRIVES TACKS. He made a 90 yard heart shot on the doe he got. I asked him how he likes that gun..."I LOVE it" he said. "Good...it's yours now" I told him. And I hope he gives it to his son some day!

Offline Hollywood

• 8 Pointer
  • # 99
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:29:37 PM »
He also got his first turkey with that Model 12.... Guess I'm not ready to turn that one over to him yet!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2011, 07:41:58 PM »
Awesome...!!!
John Wayne

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal