Author Topic: calls  (Read 1217 times)

Offline whitetailfreak10990

• 6 Pointer
calls
« on: Oct 24, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
when does everyone start using callss. any tips on how to use them better.
chris

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
Re: calls
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2011, 02:39:43 PM »
I just posted, Saturday AM I did a light "sparring" rattle with the rattle bag & a few "young buck" grunts mixed in. Had my 7 pointer come in with in 10 minutes. I don't know if that's what brought him in but he didn't have a care in the world except looking around for the fight.  3 years ago on opening day of SZ, I saw a buck about 100 yds out. I did a few tending grunts & he came running.  That's the only experience that I can say were definately attributed to calls. 

I wouldn't start with deep, dominat or tending grunts yet, More young buck grunts & let the old boy come and set the pecking order straight.

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2011, 04:02:41 PM »
I have had luck using grunts early and late in the season. Never been able to get a buck to respond to rattling.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2011, 07:00:58 PM »
Start using them now I do around mid Oct. had my first of the year respond yesterday.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
I have had luck using grunts early and late in the season. Never been able to get a buck to respond to rattling.
  The problem with rattling is most guys sit in there tree stand as quit as possible and rattle for a minute and then go back to all quite again.  I personally have never seen to bucks fighting and being quite about it.  You need to make it as realistic as possible.  I always bring an extra rope when I am hunting from a tree stand.  Before I climb up I find a dead heavy branch and tie it to the rope.  When I rattle from a tree I get the rope swinging make a ton of noise while clashing my real antlers together.  I also throw in some grunts.  I have had up to 5 bucks come in during one rattling session and I live in Fulton county.   Hunting farther north rattling is not as productive.  It is a great tool for southern zone.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »
  The problem with rattling is most guys sit in there tree stand as quit as possible and rattle for a minute and then go back to all quite again.  I personally have never seen to bucks fighting and being quite about it.  You need to make it as realistic as possible.  I always bring an extra rope when I am hunting from a tree stand.  Before I climb up I find a dead heavy branch and tie it to the rope.  When I rattle from a tree I get the rope swinging make a ton of noise while clashing my real antlers together.  I also throw in some grunts.  I have had up to 5 bucks come in during one rattling session and I live in Fulton county.   Hunting farther north rattling is not as productive.  It is a great tool for southern zone.

i like this idea...i use this tactic when I am hunting turkey.....a hat and stick make a real nice sounding fight to a tom...pretty much a good way to keep the critters interested to see whats up and who can we fight....lol this is great to watch em too

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal