Author Topic: BROADHEADS AND LAWS  (Read 13026 times)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
Re: BROADHEADS AND LAWS
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2011, 09:00:18 AM »
Kinda off topic but I was on another site yesterday and some were bashing Rage. A couple of the guys said they hit a deer in the shoulder and the arrow bounced off. :o :o I cant imagine this happening. Makes me wonder what type of equipment they were using and how far the shot was. While I have never hit a deer in the shoulder with a Rage I still cant picture that happening. Not with my setup.

matthewwoo25

« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »
This isnt about giving hunters a bad name im just trying to understand this law.if some states allow barbed and some dont im trying to understand why.But ultimately yeah you are right I can do what I want with this.I just dont see the tekan 3 broadheads braking the law they look like a broadhead that will do the job better than any fixed blade will do.personally I think fix blades suck they dont always fly true which can cause alot of miss hits and wounding i know mechanicals can wound too but at least there more consitent and accurate.especially for beginners who do not know how to tune there bow.i have used rockects and wasp for 15 years or so and never had one that didnt open or do what it was suppose to.if i didnt get the deer it was cause of me and my shooting ability.please dont take what im saying the wrong way just expressing my opinion and learning other peoples opinion on this.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
I could go either way on the barbed law. But having seen deer running around with arrows sticking out of their hind quarters I'm partial to nonbarbed heads. Having deer with arrows stuck in them only gives the antis fuel they don't need. Not to mention we owe it to the deer to have a chance to have a non fatal arrow to come out. That's just my $0.01.

And I don't want other states laws. We could end up with it being legal for an eight year old to shoot a deer with a rifle over a pile of corn from a pick up truck.

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »
Bottom line is "the law is the law". Yes, sometimes the law doesn't make sense, not our call.
They are an illegal broadhead. You can keep the law or break it.
Your ethics, your reputation, your consequences.
For me, doing it right is rightly doing.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2011, 10:51:37 AM »
Bottom line is "the law is the law". Yes, sometimes the law doesn't make sense, not our call.
They are an illegal broadhead. You can keep the law or break it.
Your ethics, your reputation, your consequences.
For me, doing it right is rightly doing.

Well said..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline major257

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2011, 04:56:30 PM »
I think the DEC needs to look at this law again. They wrote it when a fast bow was shooting less than 200 FPM so pass throughs were not a the norm. Now even the lighter poundage bows are pushing an arrow over 200. So maybe they should look at it again. I don't think it matters anyway cause carbon arrows will break of at the first tree they swipe and the BH is in there for good anyway.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2011, 06:01:15 PM »
Believe me it happens. Tried the rage a few yrs back. Hit a deer i assume in the shoulder. Arrow bounced back like i hit a metal target. Shoot a martin at 60 lbs.

Just a few more questions to try and figure out some things. What model/year Martin are you shooting? Also, what type of arrow are you using make and model? What is the GPI of the arrow as well. Last but not least what is your draw length?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
I've shot a Montac through a spine and passed through with the same arrow and a 65lb bow. The second shot got lodged in the brisket so far it took me a while to get it out with vice grips. I would say you just hit square in the thickest part of the shoulder blade, I wouldn't expect any bow to get great penetration there.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »
What yr? not sure. Bought it at gander mnt in new hartford the 1st yr they opened. Probally atleast 5 yrs ago. It's a martin tomcat with tru arc cams. 8.4 gpi, 28 in arrow. Draw length, i would guess 27 inch, arrow overhangs the rest by 1 inch. Arrow is a beman ics hunter 400. Maybe 2 light of a setup?
Not picking a fight just trying to figure why this happened. You have a shorter draw length which does not help to start with(not your fault you cant help that). 8.4 gpi is to light imo. Also the bow might now be pushing fps to drive it home. Lastly what ever setup you have its never good to hit the shoulder. Put that arrow thru both sides and your odds of a dead deer are a lot better.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:30:07 PM »
Mechanicals are funny, in the sense the more force the better. Your right it would have stuck in the shoulder and the results could go either way. I am shooting two blade rage with Beman Ics hunters 340 gpi. The bow is a Rytera Alien X set at 62 lbs. and a draw length of 29.5. So far they have done there job but I havent had a shoulder shot yet.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #25 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:35:13 PM »
http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/penetration/index.cfm

Kinetic energy and momentum are what drives and arrow through a deer. Not speed.
Unless the head is a cut to tip and strong as heck, hitting heavy bone in the shoulder or leg will cause the arrow to bounce off.
Even cut to tip, it may just lodge in the bone.
Draw length will effect things a little, but not enough to stop an arrow from passing through a deer. My Wife's uncle is a little person, and he shoots a custom made Parker. Only 25" draw and 60lbs. He has taken elk, moose, and a very large bear in Canada.  But he also shoots a very heavy arrow for his set up. (at only 230' or so /sec.)

To many people use lighter arrows for 3D and target to get that "fast" bow for yardage miscalculations. But that set up may not be optimum for hunting.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:43:01 PM »

To many people use lighter arrows for 3D and target to get that "fast" bow for yardage miscalculations. But that set up may not be optimum for hunting.
That pretty much sums it up.

Me and upstatehunter wont agree on the FPS thing though. ;) ;D

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
Some good info in this as well about heads....They tested with a very common set up for most hunters.
http://www.bowhunterplanet.biz/broadheadtesting2011.htm

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2011, 08:02:58 PM »
Speed does figure into kinetic energy calculation, however.
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #29 on: Sep 18, 2011, 08:05:36 PM »
Speed does figure into kinetic energy calculation, however.
Wasn't going to say it but thank you. Speed has to with that and momentum of the arrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal