Author Topic: "Just ASK" fails  (Read 2477 times)

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
"Just ASK" fails
« on: Jul 25, 2011, 11:45:45 AM »
Since I'm just getting started with the sport, the one burning question in the back of my mind at all times is, "Where to hunt?"

I've been reluctant to say, "state land" and say that's that. Relative exclusitvity, personal safety concerns and low deer numbers in the Adirondacks proper, have left me searching for a private alternative. In recent months, I've attempted to access every known resource of friends and family who own possible hunting lands. With a few leads, this has resulted in hilarious let-downs, funny conversations with landowners and such. Here are a few:

1.) My babysitter, who appeared to have a huge lot behind her house says, "Ohhhh yeah! You can hunt there in the fall, go ahead!" I check the county tax map, and measure. The lot is less that 300 feet from the home, and not nearly safe to fire a rifle in most directions. Back to the drawing board...

2.) Using the tax map, I attempt to call her adjacent neighbors to gain access to the lots in the safer directionsI always make it a point to speak crisply, with a honeyed tone-of-voice, and clearly identify myself at the start of the phone call. All the neighbors claim they sold their land (which isn't true, because I'm looking at this year's tax data) or they don't allow hunting on the land because other hunters have, "messed it all up before,"

3.) Had a lead on some farmland in WMU, 6R. A family friend tells me, "Oh sure!! My father's farm! He'll let you go up there, he's sick of all the geese that show up anyways." I get ahold of this family friend later in the summer for anticipation in the fall, and she says, "oh I asked my father about it, he's really leery of hunting there now, because he's had some bad experiences with hunters before." I said thanks anyways, and I appreciated it, and I didn't wanna press it.

4.) I scouted a piece of land on a farm in 5H, and went on the wrong part of the property yesterday. I wandered around the northern section of the property sayin, "Where's the treestands? Where's the creek?" I was given bad directions by a relative. It was funny.

One main thing I wanna stress is its not, "Aw poor me," but one of the realizations I have had is why the hunter safety course stresses ethical behavior and sportsmanlike conduct among hunters. It seems that a lot of my polite requests to landowners were often deflected by negative past experiences with hunters. I guess the stereotype of the "tabacky-chewin', hard-drinkin, disrespectful, shoot-anything-that-moves" hunter had some truth to it, at least in years past. I guess us young guys starting in the sport will hope to change that through our behavior at some point.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: "Just ASK" fails
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2011, 12:02:23 PM »
Just keep at it. Thats how I found most of my private spots.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Jul 25, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »
Are you planning to do any bow hunting? Some people seem more open to that than gun hunting. Unfortunately NorthvilleNewbie it isn't easy to gain access to private property anymore without $ being involved. As stka stated being persistant will eventually pay off for you.

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 25, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
Thanks guys!

@ stka: sure, I plan to keep on trying like hell. I joined a local rifle club, so hopefully that'll lead to a little more resource knowledge and help in that area.

@ drobertsinmaryland: actually, yes I do. I'm taking a bowhunter safety course next week, and I can most assuredly see why landowner would be more down with that than a gun. Funny too, because none of the owners ask me what I plan to hunt, and what implements I aim to use. I just get shut down a lot of times with a simple, "No, we've just had too much trouble with hunters in the past." With 80% (er something) of the Adironacks being privately owned, its not an option just to stop asking around.

Of course, I'm looking into buying my own land for my purposes. Real estate listings that fit my needs are always on my radar. It'll be a while before I pull the trigger on that, however. I always figured that people that decided to choose a rural lifestyle valued that privacy, and its sort of affirmed by the responses I've been getting. I just thought I'd share a lot of my, "adventures in seeking landowner permission"

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Jul 25, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
NVNewbie,
  It can be discouraging when looking for places to hunt.  Cultivating relationships with land owners takes lots of time, sometimes years.  Don't be afraid to go back to the same owners in the future.  Here is a suggestion that has worked well for me in the past.  Visit the farmer/land owner in the spring and offer to lend a hand in exchange for hunting privileges.  I have cut firewood. made minor repairs and performed various other tasks.  Just making the offer lets the owner know that you are responsible and that you really value what he has to offer.  Many, probably most, would not be willing to make this extra effort.  I have made some long term friendships and had great hunting through this process.  Don't get discouraged and good luck!
jperch

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Jul 25, 2011, 07:57:17 PM »
@ drobertsinmaryland: actually, yes I do. I'm taking a bowhunter safety course next week, and I can most assuredly see why landowner would be more down with that than a gun. Funny too, because none of the owners ask me what I plan to hunt, and what implements I aim to use. I just get shut down a lot of times with a simple, "No, we've just had too much trouble with hunters in the past." With 80% (er something) of the Adironacks being privately owned, its not an option just to stop asking around.
That's great! Sounds like you are taking your new hobby very seriously. 8) I hope it pays off big for you in the end.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2011, 05:53:19 AM »
Hi,If your looking at Fulton county Real Property page with the maps they are Not kept up to date,some times the never update the new owners,,I use that web site everyday for work,,I do believe you can shoot within 500 feet of a home with permission,,all my neighbors shoot all the time where I live..There are alot of good places to hunt over near you and alot of deer sign,,,if your sitting infront of the Timeless Tavern and a 10 point comes out from around the Firehouse  just give hime alittle time so you don't put a round through the Robin stations gass pump---LOL---good Luck this fall----

Offline NorthvilleNewbie

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:19:42 AM »
@drobertsinmaryland, thanks for your support and enthusiasm, I hope to put meat in the freezer!

@jperch, these are all useful ways to bring about land use. I like how you use the term, "cultivate a relationship" because that's exactly what it is, a lot of times it isn't just asking and then getting a permission. Its sorta like dating a chick, you work your way through stages.

@joesnag, lol, there are good places to hunt up here. I've seen plenty of deer up here. Hell, I even saw a fawn wandering through the village last week, but it was gone by the time I went to go see where it went. I'm using the fultoncounty imap, and damn, when that thing doesn't feel like working, it just doesn't. its almost like you have to play around and beat it up like an old chevy to get it working right. I think I'll set up a blind in stewarts parking lot and see if anythign with antlers comes that way :)
However, I've been reading Charles Alsheimer's a guide to Adirondack Deer hunting, and I'm just under the impression that mayfield is just a better bet all around. Seems like forest preserves have little browse.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #8 on: Jul 26, 2011, 06:51:21 AM »
Joe, you gave away my watch. Now I will have to set behind the pizza shop...hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:15:41 AM »
I definitely wouldn't give up on state land.  I hunted several pieces of state land for many years before I found where I hunt now.  But I still like to hit up a couple pieces of state land every year.  They aren't nearly as bad as you may think they are.

Offline flukeman

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Jul 26, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
I hunt state land almost exclusively and have taken a deer every year and have a couple nice bucks too. I am mostly a bow hunter so that does make a difference on the crowd scene. But we have a ton of hunters down here and I use them to my advantage. Most do not want to walk too far so once you figure that out, set up on travel corridors just beyond that range and they will send the deer your way! It does make for a longer drag, but those thoughts disappear quickly when you are eating those tenderloins.

It is a shame most people do not give a crap anymore. I am constantly picking up some other hunters garbage left behind. We lost a nice piece of private land because some dum-dum decided he needed to clear cut for his tree stand and then left his trash around. Farmers usually want to be nice, but some hunters make it hard.

Keep looking and give that State Land a fair shake, you may be surprised.

Good Luck

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »
hunts2long--stewarts is a good watch also---

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »
It really is here Joe....there are two large apple trees behind it...always deer around... ;)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
Keep at it.  I never have asked a landowner that I didn't already know for permission to hunt.  I stopped at a place this morning that was having a barn / garage sale, and talked to the woman who owns the place with her husband bit.  She didn't say "no" outright, and said to come back and talk to her husband when seasons get closer.  I feel like a total doofus though - since I had both kids in tow, I forgot to leave my name / phone number.   ::)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2011, 12:17:07 PM »
He said doofus.lol I think I can incorporate that into my material. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal