Author Topic: food plot questions  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
Re: food plot questions
« Reply #15 on: Jul 12, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »
I picked up a bag of Antler King No Sweat today at Tractor Supply with a hand spreader. I read a bunch of reviews and look like it should be good. I'm going to mix it with the Imperial Bowstand. Plan on doing it right before the State Fair.

I plan on doing a couple small areas and the corner of the corn field where its bare. Took a few pics of the spot.

I don't plan on fertilizing this year or putting down lime. Next year will be different.
« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2012, 12:49:36 AM by Spikehorn11 »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #16 on: Jul 12, 2012, 03:53:46 AM »
Should make a good spot back out of the way, Have fun with it  ;) :) :)

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Jul 12, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
Looks like a good spot. Can't wait to see how it grows.

Offline eyehi

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Jul 12, 2012, 06:43:52 AM »
Good luck with it spike looks like a good spot...you could always top dress with fertilizer before bow season if it needs it

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Does the farmer use anything for weed control?

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Jul 14, 2012, 01:03:42 AM »
I have no clue. I would assume so since where he plowed there aren't any weeds growing.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jul 14, 2012, 04:32:58 AM »
Should be fine to planet know , usually you have to planet round up ready seed cause of the weed killer  ;) ;D ;D

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2012, 06:43:58 AM »
If regular weeds won't grow you may have a hard time getting your food plot weeds to grow. Ask the farmer what he used, try a small spot now and keep it watered or grab a bucket off the top and try it at home. Wouldn't want to waste time and money if something won't grow.

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Jul 18, 2012, 07:29:03 PM »
Looks like a great spot for a plot Spike. Might not be a bad idea to do a soil test or you can be like me and wing it, lol. I am no where near expert but I like to try to get fall plantings in by around August 1st to give them plenty of time to grow before bow season. Remember, bow season opens 10/1 this year north AND south  ;D

Good luck and keep us posted.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Jul 18, 2012, 07:30:38 PM »
Reel your hunting will be limited this year! ;D
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Jul 18, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
Reel your hunting will be limited this year! ;D

You ain't kidding! I swear I do better when I hunt less though. No matter how hard I try I still think I over hunt my spots.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #26 on: Jul 18, 2012, 08:24:29 PM »
you can always hit agway and make your own blend, 2$ and some change for 1lb of clover seed, and 1$ and change for alfalfa and buckwheat, all are perennials, you could mix up 18lbs, enough for an acre or more, for not much cash....I just picked up 5 lbs of white clover and put some in one of my spots, but with the lack of rain in that area Ill be lucky if it germinates  >:(
Take a Kid outside...

Offline mcully

• Forked
« Reply #27 on: Jul 19, 2012, 05:46:39 AM »
Just heard from the property owner north of me and he figures his 70 acres of beans and corn will be dead veery soon if we don't get rain. He also said to take a look at the corn that looks good and notice not much of it has actual corn just stalks. Anyone notice that?

FrankM

« Reply #28 on: Jul 19, 2012, 03:25:47 PM »
I did not plant anything this year and I'm glad.  With this drought it would have been a big waste of money.  I have a heck of a time getting anything to grow on my land in the best years.  I have pretty much decided to give up on planting anything as everything I have tried has perfomed poorly at best.  My land is too rugged to get tilling equipment up into the few small clearings I have and I don't have access to a dozer.  My venison is already costing me about $1000/lb as it is.  I have so many outlaw neighbors throwing down cmere deer, corn, all kinds of grain that it's hard to compete using a legit food plot.  I am not going to stoop to their level and start throwing bait around.  Hopefully the owners of the land that we lease that is adjacent to mine will have it logged soon.  A good logging job does wonders to draw deer in with al the slashings and new growth.  When I had my land logged 13 years ago it really helped a lot but it will be another 10 years before its time to have mine logged again.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #29 on: Jul 19, 2012, 04:57:41 PM »
$1000/lb ? Is it on sale this week?...lol...hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal