Author Topic: NYS DEC 5 Year Deer Management Plan  (Read 42974 times)

Offline TRAKNDWG

• Nubbie
NYS DEC 5 Year Deer Management Plan
« on: Jun 14, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
I just spent 2 days studying the NYS DEC's 57 page 5 year deer management plan. I don't like it a bit. Youth rifle season during bow season, muzzle loader season during bow season, no more either sex tags for bowhunters and muzzle loader hunters, deer management permits to shoot all antlerless deer, and much much more. Don't take my word for it. Read it yourself http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7211.html All this and only 6 weeks to make public comment. Sportsmen had better hollar long and loud for the next 6 weeks or this will be forced on us, like it or not.
I do not hunt to kill. I kill to have hunted. --Jose' Ortega y Gasset

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: NYS DEC 5 Year Deer Management Plan
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2011, 07:36:22 PM »
Welcome to the site TRAKNDWG..    Wish UpState was here to take care of this..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline TRAKNDWG

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
Welcome to the site TRAKNDWG..    Wish UpState was here to take care of this..
Not sure I understand. I'm new to the site. Is UpState another user with inside knowledge?

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:34:47 AM »
He's one of our most politically active members.

Offline TRAKNDWG

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:37:14 AM »
He's one of our most politically active members.
Thanks Stka

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
Not sure I understand. I'm new to the site. Is UpState another user with inside knowledge?
Yes he is a wise individual that has taken a  leave of absence from us. Hope he returns sooner than later. From everything I read on here the DEC needs to get there heads out of there butts.

Welcome to the site TRAKNDWG.

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
Yes, Upstatehunter is our "watchdog". He is the one who keeps the state on their toes. He is missed on here, but he will be back and "fully charged"....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2011, 09:30:59 AM »
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I read the report a couple times as well. I agree with some and disagree with other portions. However, if anyone has any issues with getting the kids involved at an earlier age and bowhunters (or any hunter) having to give up a weekend to faciliate this, then you have major issues and are about as selfish as it gets.
Ok so, the kids go out with rifles during the quiet bow season. I get that it makes the deer skiddish, i do. But if you'd rather keep the kids out of the woods at a time when they have a heightened chance of success, then you are exactly who I do not want to associate with. We are losing hunters everyday and anythinf we can do to get kids involved, then I'm all for it, at my expense even.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:03:57 AM »
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but I read the report a couple times as well. I agree with some and disagree with other portions. However, if anyone has any issues with getting the kids involved at an earlier age and bowhunters (or any hunter) having to give up a weekend to faciliate this, then you have major issues and are about as selfish as it gets.
Ok so, the kids go out with rifles during the quiet bow season. I get that it makes the deer skiddish, i do. But if you'd rather keep the kids out of the woods at a time when they have a heightened chance of success, then you are exactly who I do not want to associate with. We are losing hunters everyday and anythinf we can do to get kids involved, then I'm all for it, at my expense even.

ill 2nd that!  ;D
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:22:08 AM »
Isn't that why the kids can start bow hunting at a younger age? I don't mind kids gun hunting during the bow season, I do mind that a lot of the deer shot with their tags won't be by kids that week. If they want to overlap seasons like that I'd like to see them go to a check station system and make people lie to someones face. Of course the state can't afford to do that.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #11 on: Jun 15, 2011, 10:23:59 AM »
The good old check in station I remember those days.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Jun 15, 2011, 01:15:42 PM »
I don't think anyone is upset with the kids getting involved. My suggestion was to open the early bow two weeks earlier. Then put the kids special gun season in between the bow and muzzle loader season. That way they get unperturbed animals to hunt, and a shot during the pre rut. Muzzle loader season normally runs during the bow seasons last week. So that would put their gun season after that and before the gun season. Which could be shortened a week. To avoid hunters shooting deer as they start to yard.
I believe we are all for the kids getting out there. I do believe there will be more miss use as they lower the age. A lot of younger children these days aren't all that into their parents pastimes. So I'm sure if they can get them through a class they will be using the kids tags.
But with a completely different season, the only one allowed to have a weapon would be the licensed child.
I have lobbied for public meetings on this matter and not just internet. People will speak their minds more than they will type them... ;)

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jun 15, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
Isn't that why the kids can start bow hunting at a younger age? I don't mind kids gun hunting during the bow season, I do mind that a lot of the deer shot with their tags won't be by kids that week.

i heard the same gripe when the youth turkey weekend was put in place. i have yet to run into, or hear a story from any1 who has personally witnessed an adult out hunting without a youth during the youth weekend.  i think its foolish to take something away or neglect the majority of law abiding hunters the opportunity to get their kids involved based on the idea that someone else "might" take advantage of it.
       i for one am all for any special youth season designed to give them the maximum chance at success, even if it inconveniences any of my seasons. turkey duck or deer.  u gotta start em young.
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Jun 15, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
I do see a number of fathers using the youth weekend to hunt. Had a few brag about a double with their kids... ::)
That said, they are the minority. I'm just advocating a decent time period to evaluate the situation to make everyone happy and to avoid giving hunters a bad name because a few are angry that something is being taken away from them. Though they are probably in the minority, there are people who won't have children hunting. Either from just not having them or the kids just don't want to.
As well as giving the youngsters all the opportunity we can.
I also have taught hunter ed long enough to tell you this. I have seen more 11 and 12 year olds that are far from being ready to take an animals life. Today's kids are far different than the kids of even 30 years ago.
I think the biggest thing most hunters want is a voice. To be involved more with decisions and not have them shoved down their throats.
Have to remember, just cause we have kids and promote kids involvement doesn't mean all will. There are those that are selfish.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal