Author Topic: Turkey 2011  (Read 19805 times)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Turkey 2011
« Reply #180 on: May 19, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
LOL.... Doubt that cologne would work on those "Dimes"  He He....

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #181 on: May 19, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
Probably not to well upstate. ;D After that I did a series of calls and had a fox come running in. Figures everytime I have an opportunity to kill one they are out of season. ::) ::) Would have made a nice mount, real pretty coloring. :( Decided to set up my Covert II with a fresh set of batteries in it.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2011, 04:25:55 AM »
I'm waiting for the fly down. 4-5 birds gobbling.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2011, 04:29:04 AM »
Good luck Steve...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2011, 04:34:30 AM »
Thanks. That's exactly what I need is a little luck.

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2011, 05:50:36 AM »
Thanks. That's exactly what I need is a little luck.

good luck stka!  thank god for technology!  ;D  love the in field updates ;D ;D
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2011, 07:21:35 AM »
Thanks guys. I gave up around 7 when it started raining for the fourth time, mainly because of a splitting head ache. Lots of gobbling on the roost, then very little on the ground. They went the same direction as last time, so I know where to go to get on them. Problem is it's the hardest area to get to.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2011, 07:23:35 AM »
I woke up a few minutes before daylight to a downpour.... :'(  Must have gone north of ya Steve.
This sure has been a tough season for hunters, and looking like a tough one for hatches... :(

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
Sleep in till 6 this morning and it felt great. Only two days left in my season Saturday and Monday. To bad I dont have any desire to go out those two days.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2011, 08:18:28 PM »
Had a charter yesterday; hunted all morning today, didn't see or hear a bird, nice quiet woods with no wind. Started raining as soon as I got set up at first light at a logging trail intersection, rained good till 7am then started clearing. Stayed till 10:00 then called around a little, then set up in another spot for the last 1 1/2 hrs. I felt like drobs for a while ;D, lots of deer moving late morning. Saw a doe cross about 75 yds, then her 2 fawns from last year went by 15 minutes later. About a half hr later I see deer running downhill at the same spot, lost track but there at least 6 or 7 of them. Twenty minutes later I saw 2 more jump over a rock wall further away in the same direction. I'll be spending some time there this Fall.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #190 on: May 21, 2011, 07:12:43 PM »
I felt like drobs for a while ;D,

Its an awesome feeling isnt it!LOL ;D ;D :P Sorry couldnt resist.

Offline longbeardking

• Forked
« Reply #191 on: May 22, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
I got a 3 year old bird on opening morning. I hunted hard that first week. Saw birds every single day. Both hens and toms at all hours of the morning. Most gobbles were from the roost. Only the 2 year old played and he walked right to me. 25 yard shot.  There is one particular tom that I've been trying to kill for 3 years. I know him because he has what I call a "broken gobble". He starts off like any other tom. Then his gobble breaks all up and it sounds like a hen yelp. I saw him fly down on opening morning. He would not come. He was with several other toms and some hens. On the 3rd morning he was right back there. I called him off the roost. About 20 minutes after fly down I saw movement. Then again and again. Finally a hen stepped out then another. THEN there he is, with 2 or 3 birds behind him. He went into full strut but the hen was right in front of him. I let out a small yelp and he gobbled. It was him and my red dot was right on his noggin. Finally the hen moved and I squeezed the trigger.........................CLICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 870 mis-fired. I jacked the empty onto the ground and SHORT STROKED the gun. I jacked again and got a shot at a running like hell tom. I don't think I have ever been so upset with myself in my life. I don't know what happened with that first round. Good solid dent on the primer, but no ignition. I will be back at it on the 25th through Memorial Day. I hope I can fill my last tag.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2011, 01:00:33 PM »
Got back out this morning after a couple days off for other obligations. Saw three jakes go by out front about 50 yds around 6:15, they stopped to a couple calls but eventually went where they were headed; they didn't gobble. Called around and got a close gobble below me at one spot. Went down a logging trail and set up, he answered my first call but was now above me where I was when I first heard him. Called every 15-20 minutes and got an answer every time, at one point he was getting closer but eventually the gobbles got farther away. I finally gave up after hearing nothing for an hour and hiked out; of course I bumped two nice gobblers and a hen not far from my car. I think one tom and the hen went above me and the other tom came to them after they left, thought I heard another bird gobble a couple times further off in that direction. Woods are getting thick now, tough to see and hear, nice to hear them still gobbling though. 8)
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal