Author Topic: How's everyone doing?  (Read 25659 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: How's everyone doing?
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:42:21 PM »
I used a disposable camera but did not know I could get an cd rom print made up. I am trying scan the picture using the scanner at work but so far I can only get it to load half of the picture and I don't know why?  :-\
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:43:57 PM »
I am leaving work now to go hunting! woo hoo! won't be back on to MHF until monday! ;D
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline smokepole

• 6 Pointer
  • 10 point bow deer - last hour of bow season.
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2005, 01:48:59 PM »
I am leaving work now to go hunting! woo hoo! won't be back on to MHF until monday! ;D

GOOD LUCK!!  I will be hunting all weekend too.  Should be better with out the rain, and with colder temps.  I still have about 4 inches of snow on our hill, which should be better for lots of reasons!!
One shot...Bow and Loader hunter.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:41:44 AM »
I went out friday after work to my after work stand. I have to go down a ravine, across a good size stream and back up the hill to an oak-hemlock ridge. THere is an old stone wall I follow up to my spot. about half way to my spot I see an doe bedded down about 60 yards away on the other side of the stone wall. I quickly got down on my knees and took off my back pack and knocked an arrow. Very slowy I crawled up along the stone wall for about 40 yards. I stopped when I came to a spot that the wall was knocked down. THe doe was about 30 yards away behind some brush but facing towards me. I couldn't go any further so it became a waiting game. For twenty minutes I watched her until she stood up and started eating acorns. I still didn't have a shot but I was hoping that she would walk down hill about 10 yards where there was an opening. Instead she turned and walked up the hill and that was the last time I saw a deer all weekend. Hope every one else had more sucess.

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2005, 09:11:39 AM »
Went out friday after work.Saw a big 4 point or small 6 point(couldn't tell if it had broad tines)Not quit a shooter. And a doe.Sat. afternoon saw 3 does together and a lone doe eating apples.That's it for me.Hopefully I will be able to get out this weekend.Good luck everyone.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:07:28 AM »
Went out friday after work.Saw a big 4 point or small 6 point(couldn't tell if it had broad tines)Not quit a shooter. And a doe.Sat. afternoon saw 3 does together and a lone doe eating apples.That's it for me.Hopefully I will be able to get out this weekend.Good luck everyone.

How come the buck wasn't a shooter. Does you area have antler size restrictions?

Offline bird dog

• Spiked
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »
Nice job on passing up the little guy, I enjoy reading posts by you guys that can pass up the 1.5 - 2.5 yr old bucks. Myself that has all I have seen so far this season. I did have a nice 3.5 yr old 8 pt come in the yard the other night. I would love to see him go another year. I think I will have to take him if he gives me the chance. He looks to be about 18 - 20" inside with great mass and tine length. Brows looked to be 5 - 6"  G2 10 - 12"   G3  6 -8".  I have only seen him cruise through the yard once, let things heat up a bit more and I hope to see him again. Good luck all.

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2005, 04:25:24 PM »
(couldn't tell if it had broad tines)

hey derek, whats a broad tine ;) what kind of rack were you looking at  :o

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2005, 04:29:30 PM »
I went out friday after work to my after work stand. I have to go down a ravine, across a good size stream and back up the hill to an oak-hemlock ridge. THere is an old stone wall I follow up to my spot. about half way to my spot I see an doe bedded down about 60 yards away on the other side of the stone wall. I quickly got down on my knees and took off my back pack and knocked an arrow. Very slowy I crawled up along the stone wall for about 40 yards. I stopped when I came to a spot that the wall was knocked down. THe doe was about 30 yards away behind some brush but facing towards me. I couldn't go any further so it became a waiting game. For twenty minutes I watched her until she stood up and started eating acorns. I still didn't have a shot but I was hoping that she would walk down hill about 10 yards where there was an opening. Instead she turned and walked up the hill and that was the last time I saw a deer all weekend. Hope every one else had more sucess.

Kudos to you for not taking a low-percentage shot.  Here's hoping you still get what you're looking for.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:07:36 AM »
hey derek, whats a broad tine ;) what kind of rack were you looking at  :o
Sorry j I fell asleep in my stand again and was dreaming of broads.not deer.anywho no there are not antler restrictions where I hunt.There are a good amount of deer and I have seen some dandies before so I let him go.If he shows up last day of the season and I still have my tag he is meat in the freezer.

Offline The Smokestick Kid

• 6 Pointer
  • When the hammer drops, the B.S. stops!
« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2005, 09:47:54 AM »
Well, my season has been less than eventful....didn't get to bowhunt at home much, and only saw 6 deer when I did (including a really nice 8 point on opening morning  ::) ), and rifle hunting up here has gotten off to a slow start. I'm just not used to hunting "big woods" like up here near Saranac Lake, other than hunting the Southern Adirondacks (Woodgate, Old Forge, Inlet area) and one trip in the High Peaks.  :-\ Hopefully I'll get lucky and find a beech ridge or some sort of food souce, but so far I haven't found anything.  ::)  :(

-Zach

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2005, 10:26:54 AM »
Keep trying and hoping for a good tracking snow zach. Also check out swamp and beaver pond meadows. Sometimes the deer like to feed on the grasses and plants in these areas.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2005, 04:42:55 PM »
Zach, check yer PMs.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline d_balm24

• Forked
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2005, 08:46:25 AM »
Went out last night in the same stand.Saw the same buck, still couldn't tell if he had brow tines.Had him broadside at 20 yards and passed him up again.Hopefully a big fella will do the same.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005, 10:13:35 AM by d_balm24 »

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2005, 07:16:33 PM »
im heading out saturday, not sure where yet, but i will find somewhere ???

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal