Author Topic: missed shot support group  (Read 5380 times)

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
Re: missed shot support group
« Reply #30 on: Nov 02, 2010, 07:46:50 PM »
i just picked up bow hunting this year and have not even had a drawback untill saturday.i had a stare off with a doe and she won.i let the bow down and she ran off.2 nights later same spot i see a deer.ends up beina doe and i knew she was further than 30 but it all happened so fast.she was 36 and i shot right under her.put the 30 pin on her and she trotted off.i found the arrow and my dad said you learned a lesson tonight.keep goin he said it will all happen.took this week off to get one for the south so hopefully my next post is better.

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
The lesson I relearned from my miss was to stay within my comford zone 25 yrds. max! :)
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #32 on: Nov 03, 2010, 06:57:13 PM »
I would like to reserve a spot on this thread for my good buddy Liberal Hater.    OOPS, sorry buddy I couldn't resist.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline howesfc

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »
I would like to reserve a spot on this thread for my good buddy Liberal Hater.    OOPS, sorry buddy I couldn't resist.

Soap Box?
I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier. 11B40 Scout NYARNG RET.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #34 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:47:21 PM »
Soap Box?

He missed tonight, Story's on his Journal ,poor guy.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline LIBERAL HATER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Nov 03, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »
I'm here I need therapy

Offline madIRISHarcher

• Nubbie
  • just like in the woods, running the other way.....
    • madIRISHfisherman@myspace.com
« Reply #36 on: Nov 03, 2010, 09:20:02 PM »
simply put, "I have shot at and missed more deer than all of you here have had success" . Now that is a sad but true statement. I would have rather shot and missed, than never have gotten a shot at all. It certainly holds true that we collectively, at least have the oppurtunity to see and get a shot, as opposed to never seeing an animal to shoot at. With that in mind, we must be doing something right if we are getting the chance to let one fly. I feel your pain, annually, it's what keeps you (me) coming back. I know that one day I'll get that shot, the shot of a lifetime, hopefully next time, but I don't know when, I can only hope that someday the whole plan comes together, The perfect day, the one that erases all the images of the missed shot. It will be nice to say, " don't you just love it when a plan comes together" !!! I have been eating "TAG STEW" for 20 years, It will be a cold day in hell before I'll up and quit the SPORT of the hunt.
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 09:24:20 PM by madIRISHarcher »
how can I rekindle the fire, when every place I look there's a fire extinguisher............

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Nov 04, 2010, 05:18:46 AM »
simply put, "I have shot at and missed more deer than all of you here have had success" . Now that is a sad but true statement. I would have rather shot and missed, than never have gotten a shot at all. It certainly holds true that we collectively, at least have the oppurtunity to see and get a shot, as opposed to never seeing an animal to shoot at. With that in mind, we must be doing something right if we are getting the chance to let one fly. I feel your pain, annually, it's what keeps you (me) coming back. I know that one day I'll get that shot, the shot of a lifetime, hopefully next time, but I don't know when, I can only hope that someday the whole plan comes together, The perfect day, the one that erases all the images of the missed shot. It will be nice to say, " don't you just love it when a plan comes together" !!! I have been eating "TAG STEW" for 20 years, It will be a cold day in hell before I'll up and quit the SPORT of the hunt.

Amen Brother!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
Had that same discussion with my son this fall. We again never saw a deer in bow season. Though four falls ago he had 13 shots, and missed them all.
It was his first fall sitting in a treestand, and to be by himself without me there beside him. He was lower than low....But about three weeks into our season
this year I asked if missing was really worse than not seeing any. He smiled, and said nah, pretty dull sitting all the time and seeing nothing.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2010, 12:42:37 PM by upstatehunter »

Offline bigb2004

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:50:22 AM »
Does this group help spook deer on the way tree stand? Spook 3 on the way in the woods Sunday morning. So I waited and nothing came back so I walked into tree stand 2 and just as I got in the bow hanging had 2 more does come by and stop just 20 yards out. After a few hours I walked out spook some turkeys but got a shot at one. Right over the back. All before 11am. I decided to take a chance and watch NASCAR in the afternoon. That still wasn't good and now I've seen deer everyday on the way home from work.

Offline dan_lais

• 6 Pointer
  • can't wait for May 1st!!!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »
well my next post isnt a good one either.i missed a 6 or 8 pointer this morning.i was standing there and i looked right and there he was.whitest rack ive ever seen.i went to take my bow off my lap andhit my stand.he stopped looked and kept comin in.he got to 27 yards and i used my 30 pin and i think i shot right over him.i came back home and used the 30 pin at 27 yds and came up high on the target.it was a picture perfect opportunity.broadside no idea i was there and staning still.Wow im upset.ive only seen 1 bigger buck in my life.what a nice first bow deer he would have been.oh my god im going to stop typing now and go throw up.all that hard work and hours of shooting to blow it bigtime.ok im done.no sleep tonight im sure.Goin back out tonight ill letya guys know.. :'(

Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!!!!!!

Offline gunner

• Forked
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:17:48 PM »
I'm writing for my buddy--he just texted me to say he shot over a 6pt.  :'(  Better to have shot than what i've done so far.  I've seen some deer but not in the range i'm comfortable with.  Maybe this weekend !!!! Gunner

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:26:03 PM »
You were no doubt over his back Dan. Given the yardage and the fact your in a stand, and now add he was on alert from the noise. He no doubt ducked.
Keep at it. I missed a bunch the first few years, and a few since those years.
Hardest thing to do is wait, especially if they are taking a route that would get them closer.
We all want to take the first opportunity we get. Stay calm and use it as a learning tool.

Offline brace

• 10 Pointer
  • Is it Friday yet??
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2010, 12:56:55 PM »
not so much a missed shot, but rather a missed opportunity.  I was still hunting down the east side of my woodlot  this morning.  It's raining, so nice and quiet.  I was coming into an area that has had a lot of activity this year, so I stopped and used my contact call.  Immediately I could just tell there were deer in the area.  I slowed down even more, but continued forward.  My glasses were a little foggy but I didn't really think anything of it.  Two more steps and an absolute bruiser stands up from his bed about 35 yards broadside.  He doesn't break, more just trying to figure out what I am.  Up I come with the rifle and all I see is fog.  The scope was clear.  That little bit of fog on my glasses totally screwed me.  The bruiser finally took a couple of jumps and was gone.  Proud I got that close to a bedded buck, but pretty embarrassed I didn't eep my glasses cleaned.  Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I needed to vent....thanks for listening.
   Nil Carborundum Illigetimi

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Nov 05, 2010, 01:08:27 PM »
That stinks brace! I know all about fogged or wet glasses. Or fogged, and even iced scope.
Bright side is you know he is there, and he won't leave the doe in the area. Doesn't sound like he ever really figured you out.
I had one stand up about 25' from me over a bank on an old header. He only stood for a second as I was scrambling to grab my rifle up against
a tree. Did get the gun up, but when I threw ahead with the gun, my brotherinlaws truck filled the scope. He had just dropped me off on a watch next to an old
logging road. Never got a shot, and yes he still haunts me..... ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal