Author Topic: missed shot support group  (Read 5382 times)

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
Re: missed shot support group
« Reply #15 on: Oct 20, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »
i missed 1 this morning before work at 25 yards with the smoke pole.its been bothering all day, finally see a deer in the woods and miss  :'(
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
That stinks BS...... :(    Your seeing deer and getting a shot though. Get'em tomorrow!!!

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:07:00 PM »
1975 thats the year I graduated and went into the ARMY! :o
I did too,,but went to FMCC for 2 years---

Offline pyle

• Forked
« Reply #18 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:07:23 PM »
A couple years ago I missed a nice 8 not once but twice :o Came in 15 yards broadside and I shot right under it. It trotted off. Then came back a couple minutes later sniffing the arrow sticking out of the ground. Same shot as before right under it. I was so furious I got down and noticed my pin was loose on my sight. 2 days later the camp next door got him :-[

Now I have OCD about checking every single screw and nut on my bow every time it comes out of the case.

Offline bucksnort

• 8 Pointer
  • mealworm on the shanty
« Reply #19 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »
That stinks BS...... :(    Your seeing deer and getting a shot though. Get'em tomorrow!!!
i'm taking tomorrow off to hunt all day prolly be my last chance to hunt brown and down this year,i'd love to get one for the freezer
oh yeah buzzy...he's a racker

TED NUGENT FOR PRESIDENT

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
It happens.  Whats even worse is when you shoot at a nice buck from that distance and you hit a stray branch that you did not see when you released.  Or when that buck drops to its belly and you shoot over its back.  I agree with the no sleeping part after a incident like that but not the no eating hence (Fatman).  Its better you missed completely then injuring it and never finding it.  Drink a couple of beers before bed and try again in the morning.
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
My first year gun hunting I used my fathers left handed Rem 700 in 30-06, I'm not a lefty. I missed the  same doe 3 times at 40-50 yards. After the fact I realized I was shooting through a bush that I couldn't see through the scope. Last year bow hunting I nicked a doe in the chest after hitting a twig, I hit a little fork in the leg, and I had a coyote move out of the way of an arrow at 40yds. I also missed a coyote with a 10ga slug at 30 yards.

Offline archerpat3

• Nubbie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
A missed deer that lives for another day is always better than the ones you hit and lose as they become a memory that you never forget. Hunting camp stories of missed bucks you can gladly tell and take the ribbing that comes with it. The ones you have hit and lost you hope are never brought up by your buddies as they are already a bad memory you can not forget. Practice Practice Practice so your head knows YOU can make the shot and keep after it.
Don't let your finger control the shot, let the shot control your finger. Once you squeeze there is no taking it back make it count.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Oct 23, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
Gaddabout will be in the front row at the support group this week------
lets just say the north MISSED out on a racker today-----both shots-----------------------------------ooops

Offline reeleyz

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2010, 11:28:23 AM »
So this is my first post on MHF.

I missed a nice 8 point yesterday up north with the rifle.  :'( I knew this buck was traveling near one of my blinds and finally caught him in the daylight. Completely blew the shot, only had a couple seconds to shoot and I am never good at those quick shots. I punched the trigger hard. I am going to stay out of that area for a week and hope he settles back in. Maybe he will come by following a doe.

So there is my sob story, hopefully my next post is better.

FrankM

« Reply #25 on: Nov 01, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
I missed a doe Saturday and a nice buck Sunday.  My sign is the dirty arrow sign.

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:07:11 PM »
BBBLetchworh needs a seat also in the front row-----------------------was it a slammer BD...........it happens,,
I'll be in the back,didn't bother me 2 weeks ago with the doe and my bow-----------

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
almost forgot------Bucky will be sitting between you and Gaddabout-------......

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »
Missed a few over the years, but there was one that to this day will keep me awake at night...early Dec.  1980, biggest buck I have ever seen alive. He was with a doe and another buck. I just blew it. I can see him now....THANKS guys now I am going to have to start drinking again....LOL....miss clean, if you are going to miss...we all have done it. We have a very good support group....hunts2long
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline TR19

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »
I'll be needing this group also. Saturday I was in my climber on a swamp edge. 9:15 3 does & a fawn come through panting hard. Obviously they had been running hard.
Great !!! 10:00 I talk to the boys & decide I'm going to do a push to them. I climb down, the bottom of the tree is all grape vine so I'm making all sorts of noise, pull my stand through the vines & strap everything back together. Put my stand on my back & take 3 steps & THERE IT IS.
50 yards away from my behind a 5' diameter pine tree I catch the tail fick. Here comes a deer feeding parallel to me. I raised the .44, the deer steps out, I see the horns, a good fork on both sides at least, drop the cross hairs to the little opening that the deer is stepping into, he steps in, I pull the trigger, BANG!!, the deer doesn't move, doesn't look my way nothing! I can't believe it but, center the cross hairs again, BANG ! He takes off for the next county. No jump, no kick, nothing but straight out run.
I didn't like the way he took off so easy. I get on the radio to TR19jr & TR19Dad, they're on thier way to me. I look at the spot where they buck stood & I see the white of a dead sapling. Uh Oh.

I walked over to to where he was standing & have no problems tracking his jumps through the leaves. 50, 100, 150, 200 yards, no hair, no blood, nothing but up turned leaves.

Checked out the whole situation with the gang, I was showing my Dad where I was standing, where the buck was "right behind that big pine tree"
OK, there in the 5' diameter pine tree, is bullet hole and a chunk of missing bark, next to that is a perfect hit in the middle of a 1-1/2" sapling.

The first shot must have hit the pine tree. That's why he never moved & the second shot hit the sapling & went right under him.

So I have a buck standing broadside at 50 yards & I manage to kill 2 trees. At least it was a clean miss & no deer wounded in this story..

I NEED THIS SUPPORT GROUP !
« Last Edit: Nov 03, 2010, 12:25:08 PM by TR19 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal